Training in a experimental from a club

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Lspilot82

Training in a experimental from a club

Post by Lspilot82 »

Soon I'll be joining the CFI club and would like to start giving training ASAP. I do not have a SLSA, but I do own a experimental Drifter. I know the general rule is you can't rent the plane out for training, but you can sale your services I believe. The rule is not really clear to me. So, I want to do the club route. Start a club people can get into, then I train them for X amount. If the plane is in a club, could you then rent the plane out, or are you still limited to charging for only your services? I'm trying to figure so this out. Flight instructing has always been one dream of mine, and it's a dream that's getting closer to reality. I wish I could afford a SLSA right now so I could do it without any issues, but I can't at this point. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Brian Newman
Jack Tyler

Re: Training in a experimental from a club

Post by Jack Tyler »

Brian, you'll no doubt get lots of opinion on both your specific Q and general plans.

Assuming you are an AOPA member (and why wouldn't you be one?), I'd suggest you use their resources when researching your plans. AOPA has put a new emphasis on Flying Clubs (http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/Flying-Clubs) and there will be expert advice available there that goes well beyond the topic of using your a/c for training. It also offers you a chance to network with other flying clubs in your area (http://www.aopa.org/CAPComm/flyingclubs ... lubfinder/) which would allow you to learn from others' efforts and also might help you see whether you'll be filling a niche' need or competing heavily. Even initially talking with one of AOPA's technical counselors at their PIC (http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/Pil ... ion-Center) might be a good way to start.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

There was a fellow on here who joined a club with a Pietenpol to take sport pilot training. Where you will have to be careful is separating yourself from the aircraft.
Helen

Post by Helen »

The short answer is that:

1. The club needs to own the plane, not you.
2. You cannot be instructing as a member of the club but must be instructing as part of a separate business.
3. If the airport receives FAA funding your separate business needs authorization from the airport to operate there.

We are in the process of setting up an LSA/exp club so if you have any questions, just give us a call. 410-604-1717
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Helen Woods
Chesapeake Sport Pilot
Quality Flight Training, Rentals, and Service
Factory Authorized RV-12 Training and Service Center
http://www.chesapeakesportpilot.com
chavycha

Post by chavycha »

Thanks for the info. I've been curious myself as I am pursuing a CFI and would eventually like to own an E-LSA. I would love to instruct friends/family out of it. The most viable way seems to be to set up a partnership, say with a maximum of four partners. The partners would all be equal equity members. Since they're owners, I would then be able to give instruction in the aircraft. That should be a little simpler than the club scenario, yes?
Scott K. :: A bunch of silly letters
Disclaimer :: Listen to me at your own risk. These are just my opinions...
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Scott, I don't believe you can instruct (as in: be paid as an instructor) in an E-LSA. S-LSA a/c only.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
cimmaronjim

Post by cimmaronjim »

Jack Tyler wrote:Scott, I don't believe you can instruct (as in: be paid as an instructor) in an E-LSA. S-LSA a/c only.
If I understand correctly, you can instruct in a students own E-LSA. How that could be manipulated with club ownership I don't know.
azsportpilot

Post by azsportpilot »

cimmaronjim wrote:
Jack Tyler wrote:Scott, I don't believe you can instruct (as in: be paid as an instructor) in an E-LSA. S-LSA a/c only.
If I understand correctly, you can instruct in a students own E-LSA. How that could be manipulated with club ownership I don't know.
There is a club in Phoenix that found the "loophole"

members own the aircraft, E-LSA can be used for instruction of the aircraft owner only

i don't know the exact figures but...

say you have 4 member/owners that invest $2,500 each and as a group/club they purchase an E-LSA for $10,000
any and all 4 can receive instruction in that E-LSA as they are the owners

when one of the student/owners finishes his training, passes the checkride, and buys his own plane, he then sells his 25% share in the club plane to your next student
John Sarra CFI-S
1946 Aeronca Chief

-Mankind has a perfect record in aviation; we never left one up there!
chavycha

Post by chavycha »

Yes, I was thinking of something along those lines. I believe it would be best to limit to a small group, more like a partnership than a club. Anything much bigger than 4 people and I believe that would require club/commercial insurance vs. shared ownership insurance.
chavycha

Post by chavycha »

In my case, I am not looking to have much, if any, turnover in the partnership. Nor am I looking at this as a money-making venture; quite possible that I would not be charging for my instructing at all. just want to be sure that I am legal!