Gleim study online material accuracy?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

pjcampbell

Gleim study online material accuracy?

Post by pjcampbell »

I'm taking some Gleim Sport specific study material and I'm coming across some questions I didn't think would be needing to know.

For example, there's a whole slew of questions about medical certificates. Is this actually part of what will be on the written test or are they feeding me extra info I don't need to know?

I am all for knowledge but right now I don't want to study material I don't need to know.

(I've noticed some other Gleim material I don't think is 100% correct which is why I am wondering about this. Specifically it was material that covered ELTs and talked about 121.5/243mhz ELTs and no mention of 406mhz ELT, so perhaps outdated material).
3Dreaming

Re: Gleim study online material accuracy?

Post by 3Dreaming »

As a general rule Gleim is prepping you for questions the FAA is using on the test, for example the info on ELT's. As for the medical you can act as sport pilot PIC using a valid drivers license, but if you don't have one you need a FAA medical.
designrs

Post by designrs »

I did the Gleim Sport Pilot prep about 2.5 years ago and found the content to be identical with the FAA and the Gleim company to be very responsive to any customer questions or FAA changes. Test prep accuracy is their business, not just for aviation. Good luck!
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

I've found the Dauntless Aviation software to be the easiest, cheapest and best.
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

I have recommended the Gleim Sport Pilot test prep to my students with great results. One (exceptional) student scored 100%.

I also recommend Rod Machado's books for reference material.
Dave
pjcampbell

Post by pjcampbell »

great.

Right or wrong, to a certain degree here what is important is what is on the test, not what is accurate.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

If you're referring to that chart of information on page 47 of the 2015 FAR/AIM - Yup. Some questions may come from there. Does a Sport Pilot need to know the duration of validity of a First Class Medical for an ATP under 40 years of age? I don't think so, but it is what it is.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

I recently finished up the Sport Pilot (Airplane) Ground School course from King Schools, the DVD home version. I reviewed all of the practice questions (501), found 2 mistakes in their material, but overall was very satisfied. There were NO references to medical certifications AT ALL! My previous answer was based on the PPL Knowledge test I took 4 years ago, and medical cert was on it. I just took the Sport Pilot Test, got 95%, and nothing regarding medical cert was on it. So I apologize for my ignorant answer. Good Luck with your studies.
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

designrs wrote:I did the Gleim Sport Pilot prep about 2.5 years ago and found the content to be identical with the FAA and the Gleim company to be very responsive to any customer questions or FAA changes. Test prep accuracy is their business, not just for aviation. Good luck!
+1
Aviation Real Estate Broker
drseti

Post by drseti »

deltafox wrote:I have recommended the Gleim Sport Pilot test prep to my students with great results. One (exceptional) student scored 100%.
My school also uses the Gleim material, and I won't endorse my students for the knowledge test until they can do three Gleim practice tests in a row with scores above 90%. Most of them score in the 90s on the actual test. I too had one student score 100. Since remedial ground instruction on questions missed is required prior to the practical test, and a logbook endorsement to that effect is required, that student's endorsement read "I have given Mr. xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx ground instruction on all zero subject areas in which he was found to be deficient in his Sport Pilot Airplane knowledge test."

The DPE read that, laughed, and then made that student's oral exam much more cursory.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
chavycha

Post by chavycha »

Ha! I'm going to file that endorsement away for use on future students.

I was amazed when I did my PAR that about 90% of the questions on the test were EXACTLY those which I'd reviewed in the Cessna/King study material. As a couple of responses above suggest, test prep is what these guys (Gleim included) do. The FAA has changed and added some questions but if you *understand* what's on the practice tests, you'll do fine on the real one.
Scott K. :: A bunch of silly letters
Disclaimer :: Listen to me at your own risk. These are just my opinions...
pjcampbell

Post by pjcampbell »

thanks again
I thought it was interesting that the test material is not necessarily relevant to a sport pilot, but again that isn't the point (for practical purposes).

As far as Gleim goes, I've found them really fast , reasonable and helpful.

I asked them to "reset" the final tests because the local CATS testing center is closed. This way I can re-take them again when the testing center re-opens. They did it within 15 minutes of me asking through their web form.