Commercial Pilot Knowledge Test

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

BrianL99

Commercial Pilot Knowledge Test

Post by BrianL99 »

I took the FAA Commercial Pilot Knowledge test today.

I can't imaging any test being more irrelevant, obtuse and arcane, as this test. There was not a single GPS question, yet there were over 15 VOR/ADF navigation questions.

There were at least 11 "weather" related questions, included 3 asking me to identify what particular weather product included certain information. 4 questions on interpreting METARS. Who the hell uses this stuff anymore?

Zero questions on airborne weather products.

4 questions on W&B graphs, most likely from an Operating Manual that was 40 years old.

I don't have the words to describe how utterly ridiculous the test was. How does the FAA believe this test is appropriate for determining if someone is capable of flying with a Commercial ticket?

What was almost as ridiculous, was taking the test on a 15 year old computer and monitor, with scans of Sectional Charts, W&B graphs and performance charts, that must have been scanned in the 80's ... they weren't even legible. I simply guessed on almost every single question that included an "exhibit" or "figure" ... I couldn't read them. Off the 30 questions with "figures", I think I got 11 wrong (which is exactly what to expect with straight guessing.)

Luckily, I apparently did ok with the other nonsense, as I passed with an 86%.
SportPilot

Re: Commercial Pilot Knowledge Test

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Re: Commercial Pilot Knowledge Test

Post by drseti »

I'll comment. The entire question bank for every knowledge test (including Commercial) is available onine from faa.gov. Had you reviewed the questions (no matter how arcane or irrelevant) before taking the test, you probably would have aced it.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US