New RV-12 SLSA available in Novato, CA

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Jack Tyler

New RV-12 SLSA available in Novato, CA

Post by Jack Tyler »

Given the paucity of LSA training & rental a/c in many areas of the country, I thought this recent post from the Vans Air Force forum might interest someone here. It also tells an interesting tale.

"In February of this year I took delivery of a new S-LSA (factory built) RV-12, N272VA. This is perhaps the first Garmin G3X (touch screen) equipped RV-12 to be sold.

A bit of background. I began building an RV-9A in late 2005. After building some sub assemblies in my garage, I retired from my job at the end of 2006. Secure in my retirement I moved the project to the Petaluma, CA airport (O69) and built in earnest. Earnest being in between helping friends complete their RV-8 and other friends maintain things like Stearmans, etc. Retirement was great. Great until I came down with Leukemia (ALL, the bad kind) in 2011 and required chemotherapy and a bone marrow transplant. This sidelined the RV-9 project and caused me to not renew my medical. I am now at a point of complete remission and again working, slowly, on the RV-9. I have chosen not to seek a medical just because I don’t want to “jump through the hoops”, especially as there were complications in the Leukemia treatment and I am hoping (and writing to my representatives) for the expanded driver’s license medical.

Which leads to the RV-12. Not having a medical and wanting to fly the only current option is an LSA, (OK, trikes, sailplanes, motor gliders as well). Building an RV-12 (the obvious choice) seemed silly as I am working on the RV-9 so a decision was made to purchase a factory built S-LSA RV-12. Additionally, my Flight Instructor, Patrick Scanlon, owner of Scanlon Aviation at Gnoss Field (KDVO) in Novato,CA had been mentioning that he would like to have an LSA in his fleet of rental aircraft and would be open to a lease back on such a plane. Hmm. A call to Van’s put me in touch with Kaitlyn Tepe of the “RV-12 Team”. As I had seen an article about the Garmin G3X in an E-LSA I asked if this might be an option over the Dynon SkyView. Note, I have flown friend’s A/C with the SkyView and I think it is a fine unit, I just lean a little bit more towards the Garmin. Kaitlyn mentioned that they had the first Garmin unit in production and the deal was pretty much made.

Coincidentally, Kaitlyn and factory demo pilot Joe Blank were soon to be flying Van’s Rv-12 from Oregon to the Copper State fly-in in Arizona and agreed to stop by KDVO and demo the plane for us. Of course the RV-12 lived up to all expectations, especially in mastering the notorious crosswinds at Gnoss Field. The deal was sealed.

N272VA is now based at Gnoss Field (KDVO), Novato, CA. Factory pilot Jose Gutierrez delivered the plane from Oregon (nominal fee) and gave myself and Patrick Scanlon checkouts. I could go on and on about how great a plane this is to fly but this post is getting long enough already (hey, it flies like an RV). There is an issue with the G3X autopilot but the factory and Garmin are very much on top of the situation.

Most important (in my estimation) is that Scanlon Aviation has this plane available for instruction, rental, and transition training. All of Scanlon Aviation’s instructors are being brought up to speed in the RV-12 and it is currently available. Bring yourself and family to Marin County California and get some time in an RV-12 S-LSA. No medical required, however, I am still pushing to expand that issue. While flying the RV-12 you and your family can visit all the attractions of Northern California. Napa and Sonoma counties are close by (think wine country) as is San Francisco. Take a “Bay Tour” in the RV-12 and fly right over the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz if you wish.

Best of all, I get to fly the RV-12 as well."

The thread can be found here: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/s ... post965301
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org