Go-Around

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

designrs

Go-Around

Post by designrs »

Good video here of a go-around to avoid a runway incursion:

http://youtu.be/NzvK-_dNPiQ
Merlinspop

Re: Go-Around

Post by Merlinspop »

Yes, he called final. But it seemed like a loooooooooong final (I know the camera lens can make it look really long). And then a bit after calling that final, another male voice called that he was clear of the runway. Then a good bit of time passed. Then the other plane entered the runway mid-field. I don't know what the landing lights are like on the Diamond, but multiple wing lights with a "wig-wag" feature might have made them more visible. I stopped riding motorcycles because despite my Gold Wing having 2 head lights and 2 fog lights, I was still "invisible" to people regularly enough that it stopped being fun.
- Bruce
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

I view this as a learning experience. The final for the DA-20 (or 40?) does seem long since it took almost 1.5 mins to get to the threshold. Assume a DA-20 approach speed of ~65kts and that gives you over 1.5nm. The pilot did appropriately announce final on his turn from base but I would've like to have heard a 'short final' when he was over the trees on the approach path. Just seems a long time to go without informing UNICOM of your position.

I never heard the traffic on the ground at mid-field but they could've transmitted during the brief conversations in the approaching aircraft.

I too like wig-wag likes. I tell my passengers that I'm lighting myself up like a Christmas Tree when I get within 10 miles of the airport.
dave
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

dstclair wrote:I never heard the traffic on the ground at mid-field but they could've transmitted during the brief conversations in the approaching aircraft.
Or they could have transmitted on the wrong frequency. I've seen that happen before.
Aviation Real Estate Broker
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Flocker wrote:
dstclair wrote:I never heard the traffic on the ground at mid-field but they could've transmitted during the brief conversations in the approaching aircraft.
Or they could have transmitted on the wrong frequency. I've seen that happen before.
Unfortunately, I've done this myself :oops:
dave
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

It's also very easy to turn down the volume for just a second to talk to a student or a passenger, and then forget to turn it back up.

Not to mention an audio panel set up improperly.

It happens.

DAMHIK.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
chavycha

Post by chavycha »

And sometimes the frequency on the chart doesn't match the frequency in use at the field! I had that experience a couple weeks ago at a small strip in Southern Oregon. The chart and AF/D say 122.9... but someone at the field decided they liked 122.8 better as it's used by a nearby larger airport. They posted it on a sign at the field but didn't bother to tell the FAA. :roll:

An instructor I knew used to call landings 'what happens when you can't find a good excuse to go around'. I don't plan for go-arounds when I'm coming in to land but certainly do like to keep the possibility available!
Scott K. :: A bunch of silly letters
Disclaimer :: Listen to me at your own risk. These are just my opinions...
saxdiva

Post by saxdiva »

Hmm... I've flown that Diamond, and I'm pretty sure that's my flight instructor conducting the check out. I'll have to ask him about it.