Side Slip Exercise

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

CharlieTango

Re: Side Slip Exercise

Post by CharlieTango »

SportPilot wrote:This is silly. There can be more than one definition as to what is a turn.
If your definition of 'heading' and/or 'turn' does not allow for yaw correction than the definition can be used to make erroneous conclusions. An example would be 'a turn didn't happen because my heading didn't change'

This concept is relevant to this thread specifically in arguing if the flight path changed due to slipping turns or flying sideways.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

ruzz

Post by ruzz »

I guess I'm late to this thread but.........The Kings have a video of this exercise from behind the plane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsQF4QG8xPk

To me this is a great exercise for learning to land. My gripe has been that there is so much to handle especially in a crosswind in those few seconds before touchdown and so little time to learn it. Just a few seconds, then once more around the pattern for just those few seconds of learning.
drseti

Post by drseti »

FastEddieB wrote: And instructors do it all the time, "saving" many a landing that's gone astray by slipping back to the center of the runway.
Eddie, although I know what you're saying, I am a firm believer that the best way for an instructor to save a landing is to command (or execute) a go-around. We need to teach our students that the only conditions under which you HAVE to land are:
(1) you're out of fuel
(2) you're on fire
(3) they're shooting at you
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

drseti wrote: Eddie, although I know what you're saying, I am a firm believer that the best way for an instructor to save a landing is to command (or execute) a go-around. We need to teach our students that the only conditions under which you HAVE to land are:
(1) you're out of fuel
(2) you're on fire
(3) they're shooting at you
Good points, all.

I guess I'm thinking of a student drifting downwind towards the edge lights, and the instructor taking control and demonstrating the correct application of the controls to get the desired result - which is a return to the runway centerline. Which rings true with me, since I recall my Achilles Heel in learning to fly was under-controlling.

But, yes, the safest thing to do when things are not going as planned is exactly as you outline - go around and try again.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

drseti wrote: (3) they're shooting at you
The gunfire is probably coming from the ground. Go around. ;)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

MrMorden wrote:
drseti wrote: (3) they're shooting at you
The gunfire is probably coming from the ground. Go around. ;)
Concur . . . . . totally!
Unless the aircraft is disabled, last thing to do is land in the middle of a fire fight.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
JimC

Post by JimC »

Were't those folks kind of overthinking things? (I didn't read the whole thread)

I'd uv thought this was the sort of stuff folks do automatically without thinking about it at all.
The same thing can be accomplished with forward slip modulation, albeit with the nose pointed off to the side.