14 CFR part 61, section 61.45(f) Who will do this?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Torque

Re: 14 CFR part 61, section 61.45(f) Who will do this?

Post by Torque »

3Dreaming wrote:
Torque wrote:Go to the bottom of page 9 not page 4, my mistake.
The PTS was written in 2004 when the sport pilot rule first came out. There have been a few changes made to the PTS since then, but it was just a change and not a re-write. In my opinion the single seat checkride was put in place for those existing ultralight pilots who would need to get a sport pilot certificate. There used to be a provision for those pilots to use their ultralight time to get a sport pilot certificate. It was CFR 61.329. It is no longer there, but you can Google it if you want. The PTS still mentions this, and the deadline is almost 8 years past. Just because the regulations say something is possible doesn't make it the right thing to do.

CFR 61.45{f} is not the same as CFR 61.329. You really can not compare the two. I don't believe your opinion matters. In my opinion a lot of laws should not be what they are, that does not change anything.

I posted the last rewrite of the SP practical test standards revisions 1,2 and 3. If you have a newer or updated version post it. I found the latest version I could find.

This is not about ultralight time counting towards anything. One would still need the required training but the checkride can be done in the students own single seat airplane.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Torque wrote: CFR 61.45{f} is not the same as CFR 61.329. You really can not compare the two. I don't believe your opinion matters. In my opinion a lot of laws should not be what they are, that does not change anything.

I posted the last rewrite of the SP practical test standards revisions 1,2 and 3. If you have a newer or updated version post it. I found the latest version I could find.

This is not about ultralight time counting towards anything. One would still need the required training but the checkride can be done in the students own single seat airplane.
Tony, there is no reason get all bent out of shape. I was just offering my opinion of why the provision of a single seat checkride was even offered in the first place. You are 100% correct that you can do a checkride in a single place airctaft for sport pilot. If you have someone who will sign you off for the checkride and can't find a DPE call the FSDO there in Springfield. Tell them you can't find a DPE and request that they provide an inspector to do the checkride.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

One other thing to remember is a DPE is a private sector individual, and they may not be willing to accept the perceived liability of doing a single seat checkride.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

I knew a guy that got a 'single seat checkride' in his 2-seat KR2. It was a bit too small for him and another person.
Torque

Post by Torque »

3Dreaming wrote:
Torque wrote: CFR 61.45{f} is not the same as CFR 61.329. You really can not compare the two. I don't believe your opinion matters. In my opinion a lot of laws should not be what they are, that does not change anything.

Tony, there is no reason get all bent out of shape. I was just offering my opinion of why the provision of a single seat checkride was even offered in the first place. You are 100% correct that you can do a checkride in a single place airctaft for sport pilot. If you have someone who will sign you off for the checkride and can't find a DPE call the FSDO there in Springfield. Tell them you can't find a DPE and request that they provide an inspector to do the checkride.
Sorry I did not mean to be so curt.

I do thank you for the comments.

Tony
Torque

Post by Torque »

CharlieTango wrote:I knew a guy that got a 'single seat checkride' in his 2-seat KR2. It was a bit too small for him and another person.

I think the first to do this in a single seat, people will be talking about it for decades to come.

Tony
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

CharlieTango wrote:I knew a guy that got a 'single seat checkride' in his 2-seat KR2. It was a bit too small for him and another person.
I didn't think the KR2 met the requirements to be a LSA, because of a to fast stall speed and to high cruise.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

3Dreaming wrote:
I didn't think the KR2 met the requirements to be a LSA, because of a to fast stall speed and to high cruise.
This was in the early 1990s. It was EAB but the DPE stayed on the ground with a handheld.
Torque

Post by Torque »

CharlieTango wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
This was in the early 1990s. It was EAB but the DPE stayed on the ground with a handheld.
This is how its spelled out in 61.45{f} for the Sport Pilot Program.

Tony
Torque

Post by Torque »

drseti wrote:That covers practical tests very well. But why isn't there a similar rule for flight reviews?
Its not called a flight review in the Sport Pilot world its called a Proficiency Check and its spelled out how to do this in a single seat at the bottom of page 10.

http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/tes ... 081-29.pdf
drseti

Post by drseti »

Torque wrote:Its not called a flight review in the Sport Pilot world its called a Proficiency Check
They are two different things. A proficiency check is the mechanism whereby a Sport Pilot gains additional category and class privileges (or a higher-rated pilot adds sport pilot privileges in a new category or class), and your reference is correct for that. (Yes, there are provisions for a single-seat aircraft). A flight review is something else again -- it is something every pilot must have accomplished within the previous 24 calendar months, in order to retain pilot privileges. The FAA Order for a flight review states that it must consist, at a minimum, of one hour each of ground instruction and flight instruction. Flight instruction is required by FAR to be conducted in an aircraft with dual flight controls. Thus, it cannot be accomplished in a single seater.

Further, you cannot use a Proficiency Check to satisfy the requirements of a flight review. This is because a Proficiency Check can only be used to add privileges in a new category or class, for which you are not already rated. A flight review, according to the FARs, can only be conducted in a category and class of aircraft for which you are already rated. :cry:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Torque

Post by Torque »

drseti wrote:
Torque wrote:Its not called a flight review in the Sport Pilot world its called a Proficiency Check
They are two different things. A proficiency check is the mechanism whereby a Sport Pilot gains additional category and class privileges (or a higher-rated pilot adds sport pilot privileges in a new category or class), and your reference is correct for that. (Yes, there are provisions for a single-seat aircraft). A flight review is something else again -- it is something every pilot must have accomplished within the previous 24 calendar months, in order to retain pilot privileges. The FAA Order for a flight review states that it must consist, at a minimum, of one hour each of ground instruction and flight instruction. Flight instruction is required by FAR to be conducted in an aircraft with dual flight controls. Thus, it cannot be accomplished in a single seater.

Further, you cannot use a Proficiency Check to satisfy the requirements of a flight review. This is because a Proficiency Check can only be used to add privileges in a new category or class, for which you are not already rated. A flight review, according to the FARs, can only be conducted in a category and class of aircraft for which you are already rated. :cry:

Yes this is spelled out in the very first page of the PTS. But says nothing of the flight review.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The flight review is covered by CFR 61.56.
drseti

Post by drseti »

It's not in the PTS. The flight review requirement is in FAR 61.56.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Torque

Post by Torque »

As long as you are a student no flight review is needed.