14 CFR part 61, section 61.45(f) Who will do this?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

3Dreaming

Re: 14 CFR part 61, section 61.45(f) Who will do this?

Post by 3Dreaming »

Tony, the biggest problem I see with you doing your checkride in a single place aircraft that you have is going to be getting a solo endorsement to fly the single place aircraft as a student pilot. You must have this endorsement and it must be valid when you take the checkride. The instructor providing you the endorsement is required to provide you training in a similar make and model aircraft. The decision that the airplane is of similar make and model is not up to you, it is the instructor who must decide if it is similar. In addition the FAA may have a voice in whether the aircraft is similar. If it were me providing the instruction I would want a 2 place version of the single place aircraft for the training. There are some aircraft where this wouldn't be a big deal, like the single and 2 place Challenger or the Quicksilver type aircraft.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Torque wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
Torque wrote:The closest thing I found to flying something like the minimax and such is a Taylorcraft. That is about as close to these little airplanes as you will get. If you can fly a taylorcraft you can fly a minimax or any of the little single seat EAB's.

Tony
I don't think I would go that far. I wouldn't want to jump into a Cassutt or a Pitts with just Taylorcraft time, and I do have quite a bit of Taylorcraft time.
I said the closest thing to a " Min-Max and such, meaning that big Hershey bar wing". Not once did I mention a Cassutt or Pitts. To me a pitts is not a little single seat. I mentioned this before that a little single seat comes in at 300-500 lbs. Anything bigger and its a mid weight in my book. Little means 40-65 hp.
This may be what you meant, but it certainly was not what you said. The Cassutt is certainly a little single seat EAB, in fact it is likely smaller that your 2 aircraft. There are factors beyond weight, size, and horsepower that effect how an aircraft is going to fly.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

SportPilot wrote:I would go somewhere and get my license in a 2 place aircraft, then transition to the single place.
No need to transition. If he has a license and a tailwheel endorsement he can jump in his airplane and go. He seems to have been flying it for quite some time without a license.
Torque

Post by Torque »

3Dreaming wrote:
SportPilot wrote:I would go somewhere and get my license in a 2 place aircraft, then transition to the single place.
No need to transition. If he has a license and a tailwheel endorsement he can jump in his airplane and go. He seems to have been flying it for quite some time without a license.

Who said I fly without a license. I asked a question, said I would go for this type of training, you conclude I am flying illegal? Really
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Torque wrote: Who said I fly without a license. I asked a question, said I would go for this type of training, you conclude I am flying illegal? Really
If I am wrong I apologize, but I came to that conclusion based on your post on this forum.
Torque

Post by Torque »

3Dreaming wrote:
Torque wrote: Who said I fly without a license. I asked a question, said I would go for this type of training, you conclude I am flying illegal? Really
If I am wrong I apologize, but I came to that conclusion based on your post on this forum.

If I would have come on here saying " A CFI and I are having a conversation about such and such" well not a real good way to start a thread. So I spelled out what I wanted.

Now if that came off as being illegal sorry. Not sure what to say. Other people post question and I have never heard anyone question motive.

Tony
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Torque wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:

If I would have come on here saying " A CFI and I are having a conversation about such and such" well not a real good way to start a thread. So I spelled out what I wanted.

Now if that came off as being illegal sorry. Not sure what to say. Other people post question and I have never heard anyone question motive.

Tony
Tony,

Perhaps the confusion arose from you asking about the exam (many people do, before taking it) but with a particular twist, then describing that you already have and fly a plane that just happens to be of the same configuration as in the particular twist of the original question. Made it look like you were asking because you wanted to take the test, rather than more of a hypothetical.
- Bruce
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

CTLSi wrote:The student pilot certificate will expire at the end of the 24th month after the month in which it was issued.

The sport pilot solo endorsement also has a limit. To keep flying solo you would need to keep getting an endorsement from a CFI.

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies ... 83-27a.pdf
You are only partially right, but you do have it right for an old guy like you going for a private pilot certificate.

§61.19 Duration of pilot and instructor certificates.

(a) General. The holder of a certificate with an expiration date may not, after that date, exercise the privileges of that certificate.

(b) Student pilot certificate.

(1) For student pilots who have not reached their 40th birthday, the student pilot certificate does not expire until 60 calendar months after the month of the date of examination shown on the medical certificate.

(2) For student pilots who have reached their 40th birthday, the student pilot certificate does not expire until 24 calendar months after the month of the date of examination shown on the medical certificate.

(3) For student pilots seeking a glider rating, balloon rating, or a sport pilot certificate, the student pilot certificate does not expire until 60 calendar months after the month of the date issued, regardless of the person's age
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

SportPilot wrote:Numnuts, .
C'mon, guys, no namecalling, please.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US