14 CFR part 61, section 61.45(f) Who will do this?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Torque

Re: 14 CFR part 61, section 61.45(f) Who will do this?

Post by Torque »

Once you have a Proficiency Check you do not need to do a flight review in that 24 month period. So every 2 years have a Proficiency Check and no need for a flight review.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Edit: Tthe below was in response to the statement that as a student pilot you dont need a flight review.

True, but it's really not practical to fly as a student pilot forever just to avoid having to take a flight review. For one thing, you need to get your instructor to give you a new solo endorsement every 90 days. For another, you need an individual instructor endorsement for every cross-country trip, which entails reviewing your flight planning and preparation with your instructor before each individual flight. Plus, all your flying is then supervised solo, and I'm sure your CFI is going to want to get paid for that supervision. In the long run, it'll be cheaper to get licensed and pay for a flight review every two years in a rented 2 place aircraft.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

Torque wrote:Once you have a Proficiency Check you do not need to do a flight review in that 24 month period. So every 2 years have a Proficiency Check and no need for a flight review.
I think you misunderstand the purpose of a proficiency check. It is used by licensed pilots to add new.privileges. Once you have, let's say, added a new category or class of aircraft, it never gets repeated (until you add another category or class).

In addition, as a CFI I can't just give you a proficiency check whenever you request one. You need a logbook endorsement from a CFI who trained you, and have to then submit a Form 8710-11 to a different CFI who gives you the check.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Torque

Post by Torque »

drseti wrote:
Torque wrote:Once you have a Proficiency Check you do not need to do a flight review in that 24 month period. So every 2 years have a Proficiency Check and no need for a flight review.
I think you misunderstand the purpose of a proficiency check. It is used by licensed pilots to add new.privileges. Once you have, let's say, added a new category or class of aircraft, it never gets repeated (until you add another category or class).

In addition, as a CFI I can't just give you a proficiency check whenever you request one. You need a logbook endorsement from a CFI who trained you, and have to then submit a Form 8710-11 to a different CFI who gives you the check.
Its you who are confused.

I am stating just what you say. Why not add a new class or category every 24 months instead of just doing the same old. Always be building your aviation portfolio if indeed you would want to move up. Some like myself will never move up. I will always fly what I do, nothing more, nothing less.

Small bites. Aviation should be ate like a pie, in small bites.

Tony
drseti

Post by drseti »

Ah, but a proficiency flight to add a category or class, though highly desirable for expanding your horizons, does not replace or negate the need for licensed pilots to do a flight review. Every 24 calendar months.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Torque

Post by Torque »

drseti wrote:Ah, but a proficiency flight to add a category or class, though highly desirable for expanding your horizons, does not replace or negate the need for licensed pilots to do a flight review. Every 24 calendar months.

(d) A person who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, passed any of the following need not accomplish the flight review required by this section:

(1) A pilot proficiency check or practical test conducted by an examiner, an approved pilot check airman, or a U.S. Armed Force, for a pilot certificate, rating, or operating privilege.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Since a CFI is not an approved check airman, for the proficiency check to count as a flight review, you would have to get it from a DPE.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Torque wrote:
drseti wrote:Ah, but a proficiency flight to add a category or class, though highly desirable for expanding your horizons, does not replace or negate the need for licensed pilots to do a flight review. Every 24 calendar months.

(d) A person who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, passed any of the following need not accomplish the flight review required by this section:

(1) A pilot proficiency check or practical test conducted by an examiner, an approved pilot check airman, or a U.S. Armed Force, for a pilot certificate, rating, or operating privilege.
I'm still not clear on what you're looking to do. Everyone seems clear that one may do their SP checkride in a single seat aircraft. You may not do a flight review in a single-seat aircraft.

Next, you may get a proficiency check by a DPE in a single-seat aircraft but this would not be practical if your intent is to own a a specific single-seat LSA and use that particular aircraft for your reviews/checks. A proficiency check is done when the certified pilot wants to add a category or class of aircraft at the sport pilot level. Category and class would be gyro, glider, lighter-than-air, weight shift and seaplane (others?). I'm not aware of any aircraft that would satisfy all category and class combinations simultaneously.
dave
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I understand that you are, and always be, Commercial ASEL (with or without a medical), but you must have a current medical to exercise Commercial privileges, else you are flying under SP rules. I also further understand that the ASEA privileges you added can be exercised under SP rules only, even if you have a medical, because you didn't do a check ride with a DPE, merely a proficiency check with a CFI - correct? But regardless, you are still a Commercial Pilot! :)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

dstclair wrote: I'm still not clear on what you're looking to do.
I have ask the same question before with no reply.
Torque

Post by Torque »

3Dreaming wrote:
dstclair wrote: I'm still not clear on what you're looking to do.
I have ask the same question before with no reply.

Just seeing if anyone has done this. I have posted this question a few times before on the web and most everyone does not even know this can be done. Most will tell you its against FAA policy.

From what I have found, indeed no one has done this and very few even know one can.

Tony
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Torque wrote: Just seeing if anyone has done this. I have posted this question a few times before on the web and most everyone does not even know this can be done. Most will tell you its against FAA policy.

From what I have found, indeed no one has done this and very few even know one can.

Tony
Like I said before it was more likely to have happened during the ultralight pilot transition period. Now it is more likely to happen in the power parachute or weight shift control world.
Torque

Post by Torque »

3Dreaming wrote:
Torque wrote: Just seeing if anyone has done this. I have posted this question a few times before on the web and most everyone does not even know this can be done. Most will tell you its against FAA policy.

Tony
Like I said before it was more likely to have happened during the ultralight pilot transition period. Now it is more likely to happen in the power parachute or weight shift control world.

Like I pointed out, it can be done in a single seat EAB not just what you mentioned. Something of the minimax or Hi-max flavor.