14 CFR part 61, section 61.45(f) Who will do this?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

3Dreaming

Re: 14 CFR part 61, section 61.45(f) Who will do this?

Post by 3Dreaming »

Torque wrote: Like I pointed out, it can be done in a single seat EAB not just what you mentioned. Something of the minimax or Hi-max flavor.
Yes the regulations say you can do it, I don't think anybody here is disagreeing with that.

The point I am trying to get across is back from September 2004 until January 2007 a ultralight pilot who had belonged to a recognized organization could take the FAA knowledge test and go take the checkride if they met the requirements of CFR 61.329. 61.329 is no longer listed in the regulations. They didn't need a instructor sign off for the checkride, they were on their own. If they owned and were flying a single place aircraft then that is what they would want to use for the checkride.

Now the time for that transition has passed, and you are required to get flight training. You must also have an endorsement from an instructor for the checkride.

Just because the regulations say you can do it doesn't make it a simple process. You mentioned the Minimax and Himax aircraft. What airplane would you suggest be used for training to sign you off in one of these? You can't just do the flight training in anything and get the sign off to fly solo, it must be in a similar make and model aircraft. I can tell you as an instructor if we had trained in a similar make and model aircraft and I am signing you off for the checkride, I would want the checkride to be done in the aircraft we trained in. I think you will find most examiners will feel the same way.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torque

Post by Torque »

So in one post it can be done, then in the next post it can't be done.

No one said one did not need training before the check ride. This was the point of this post. To show just how confused the CFI's are over the SP regs. Its been proven here. Some say this rule or reg was made for the transition training or years past. It sure does not say that in the PTS. I have read it and could not find that. If someone could please point to this in the PTS it would show this is indeed the facts.

Let me ask this, just what airplane do this people who fly minimax train in today?

By the way I have talked with examiners who said they would do this.

Tony
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Even if one could find an Examiner willing to conduct the test ... CFR part 61, section 61.45(f) sub-para 1, you'd end up with
(3) Pilot certificate of an applicant successfully passing the test is issued a pilot certificate with a limitation “No passenger carriage and flight in a single-seat light-sport aircraft only.” Who in their right mind would want THAT limitation?
- Bruce
Torque

Post by Torque »

Merlinspop wrote:Even if one could find an Examiner willing to conduct the test ... CFR part 61, section 61.45(f) sub-para 1, you'd end up with
(3) Pilot certificate of an applicant successfully passing the test is issued a pilot certificate with a limitation “No passenger carriage and flight in a single-seat light-sport aircraft only.” Who in their right mind would want THAT limitation?

Someone who plans on flying nothing but a single seat for one reason or another. There are people out there in the world who desire to fly nothing but a single seat. They plan on going nowhere but around the patch. They fly in the morning or evening on nice days only.

Those types of people are the people who would want the SP certificate in its bare bones stated. Not everyone gets a SP certificated to commute from one place to the other. Some want to use it for the fun of flying just to get in the air.

Tony
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Torque wrote:So in one post it can be done, then in the next post it can't be done.

Who here said it can't be done? In my post I said I wouldn't do it. There is a big difference between the two.

No one said one did not need training before the check ride. This was the point of this post. To show just how confused the CFI's are over the SP regs. Its been proven here. Some say this rule or reg was made for the transition training or years past. It sure does not say that in the PTS. I have read it and could not find that. If someone could please point to this in the PTS it would show this is indeed the facts.

You are the only one who thinks the CFI's who have posted here are confused. We all agree that per the regulations it can be done, but as I have stated I wouldn't do it. I didn't say the rule was made for transition training, but rather ultralight pilots transitioning to sport pilot. I also prefaced that with it being my opinion and not fact. Since it is my opinion you will not find it in writing anywhere but here. If there had not been a way for the ultralight pilots to transition to sport pilot without any training from a CFI I doubt that the single seat checkride provision would have been allowed. Again that is just my opinion.

Let me ask this, just what airplane do this people who fly minimax train in today?

You tell me, what two seat airplane is similar in make and model to the Minimax? By regulation any instructor who is endorsing you for solo flight must have provided you training in an aircraft of similar make and model. I know you are going to say this is not about solo endorsements, but you do need a current solo endorsement to take the checkride.

By the way I have talked with examiners who said they would do this.

This is what you said in the first post, "FAA offers this but not one person I have talked to will do it.".
Since examiners are people, which statement should we believe?

Tony
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Torque wrote:
Merlinspop wrote:Even if one could find an Examiner willing to conduct the test ... CFR part 61, section 61.45(f) sub-para 1, you'd end up with

Someone who plans on flying nothing but a single seat for one reason or another. There are people out there in the world who desire to fly nothing but a single seat. They plan on going nowhere but around the patch. They fly in the morning or evening on nice days only.

Those types of people are the people who would want the SP certificate in its bare bones stated. Not everyone gets a SP certificated to commute from one place to the other. Some want to use it for the fun of flying just to get in the air.

Tony
Okay, great. More power to you or anyone who is so positive of their current and future flying needs that they are comfortable deliberately limiting themselves this dramatically, when the identical testing can be done in a two seated aircraft which would result in much greater options. Again, more power to you.
- Bruce
Torque

Post by Torque »

I have posted this question here and other places. In the last week or so I have had a couple people contact me telling me they would do this.

Really no restrictions to going this route. The only restriction is if one wants to fly a two seat they will now need an endorsement in order to do so. One could get this endorsement when they come up for their flight review.

This fits the bill for someone like me. I am on a limited budget, Two seat airplane cost more when purchasing, my wife will never fly in any of these little airplanes, my friends have their own airplanes. Never go anywhere, fly to just be in the air.

I need a two seat like a hole in the head.

Tony
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

So Tony, is your airplane a Minimax?
Torque

Post by Torque »

3Dreaming wrote:So Tony, is your airplane a Minimax?
I have a couple airplanes and neither are mini-max. I owned the Hi-max at one time. The Fisher products what I own today has that Hershey Bar style wing and flies just like the minimax.

Tony
Torque

Post by Torque »

The closest thing I found to flying something like the minimax and such is a Taylorcraft. That is about as close to these little airplanes as you will get. If you can fly a taylorcraft you can fly a minimax or any of the little single seat EAB's.

Tony
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Torque wrote:I have posted this question here and other places. In the last week or so I have had a couple people contact me telling me they would do this.

Really no restrictions to going this route. The only restriction is if one wants to fly a two seat they will now need an endorsement in order to do so. One could get this endorsement when they come up for their flight review.

This fits the bill for someone like me. I am on a limited budget, Two seat airplane cost more when purchasing, my wife will never fly in any of these little airplanes, my friends have their own airplanes. Never go anywhere, fly to just be in the air.

I need a two seat like a hole in the head.

Tony
The following is copied from the Sport Pilot PTS, dated December 2004 (with changes 1, 2, and 3), so it might be dated. Emphasis on some of the text is mine.
"... Sport pilots taking the practical test in a single - seat aircraft will have the limitation, “No passenger carriage and flight in a single - pilot seat aircraft only” placed on their pilot certificate , per 61.45(f)(3), limiting their operations to a single - seat light - sport aircraft and no passenger carriage will be authorized.

Only an examiner is authorized to remove this limitation when the sport pilot takes a complete practical test in a two - place light - sport aircraft. This practical test may be conducted in the same or additional category of aircraft. Upon successful completion of the practical test, the limitation will be removed, and the sport pilot is authorized to act as pilot in command in all categories of light - sport aircraft that he or she has a make and model endorsement within a set of aircraft to operate. "

So it seems like an entire practical test must be taken (and paid for).

Again, more power to anyone who knows that a single seat is all they will ever need. I am a huge fan of the Thatcher single seat CX4. His new two seater, the CX5, just doesn't look as drop dead gorgeous as the original.
- Bruce
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Torque wrote:The closest thing I found to flying something like the minimax and such is a Taylorcraft. That is about as close to these little airplanes as you will get. If you can fly a taylorcraft you can fly a minimax or any of the little single seat EAB's.

Tony
I don't think I would go that far. I wouldn't want to jump into a Cassutt or a Pitts with just Taylorcraft time, and I do have quite a bit of Taylorcraft time.
Torque

Post by Torque »

3Dreaming wrote:
Torque wrote:The closest thing I found to flying something like the minimax and such is a Taylorcraft. That is about as close to these little airplanes as you will get. If you can fly a taylorcraft you can fly a minimax or any of the little single seat EAB's.

Tony
I don't think I would go that far. I wouldn't want to jump into a Cassutt or a Pitts with just Taylorcraft time, and I do have quite a bit of Taylorcraft time.
I said the closest thing to a " Min-Max and such, meaning that big Hershey bar wing". Not once did I mention a Cassutt or Pitts. To me a pitts is not a little single seat. I mentioned this before that a little single seat comes in at 300-500 lbs. Anything bigger and its a mid weight in my book. Little means 40-65 hp.