14 CFR part 61, section 61.45(f) Who will do this?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

3Dreaming

Re: 14 CFR part 61, section 61.45(f) Who will do this?

Post by 3Dreaming »

CTLSi wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
CTLSi wrote:The student pilot certificate will expire at the end of the 24th month after the month in which it was issued.

The sport pilot solo endorsement also has a limit. To keep flying solo you would need to keep getting an endorsement from a CFI.

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies ... 83-27a.pdf
You are only partially right, but you do have it right for an old guy like you going for a private pilot certificate.

§61.19 Duration of pilot and instructor certificates.

(a) General. The holder of a certificate with an expiration date may not, after that date, exercise the privileges of that certificate.

(b) Student pilot certificate.

(1) For student pilots who have not reached their 40th birthday, the student pilot certificate does not expire until 60 calendar months after the month of the date of examination shown on the medical certificate.

(2) For student pilots who have reached their 40th birthday, the student pilot certificate does not expire until 24 calendar months after the month of the date of examination shown on the medical certificate.

(3) For student pilots seeking a glider rating, balloon rating, or a sport pilot certificate, the student pilot certificate does not expire until 60 calendar months after the month of the date issued, regardless of the person's age
I am correct, I gave the FAA reference. No responsible CFI would give a student five years worth of solo endorsements, nor two years for that matter. And as a perp student, flying alone is all you can do...kinda defeats the purpose huh? And oh yea, have fun getting insurance after two years of perp studenthood, and have fun paying hundreds for the recurring written tests and constant begging and paying CFIs to keep the solo going.

And I am a fully license private pilot (240hrs) mid instrument training. How about you?
The link you provided is to an outdated FAA document from 2006. You should know from studying for your knowledge test that if you are under 40 your medical is good for 60 calendar months, instead of the 36 calendar months as stated in the document you posted. When the FAA lengthened the expiration date for those under 40 to 60 calendar months the also corrected the faux pas of having the student pilot certificate expire before the medical. The source I provided is copied and pasted from the current regulations, and I highlighted the pertinent information just for you.

I don't normally blow my own horn, but just for you I will answer your question.

I have been a fully licensed pilot since 1980, with somewhere close to 10,000 hours flight time. I have been a commercial pilot since 1988. I did my instrument rating and CFI in 1990. I have been working in the aviation industry since 1980 except for the year I went to A&P school. I have been a A&P since 1983 and a IA since 1990. I have owned my FBO and been airport manager at my present location since 1996. I have been a dealer for Flight Design since 2007, with Flight Design and Rotax factory maintenance training. I am also a Flight Design service and pilot center, and I have flown a CTLSi.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I'm glad you posted that, Tom. I am of course aware of your impressive credentials, and now, so is everybody else! :)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:I'm glad you posted that, Tom. I am of course aware of your impressive credentials, and now, so is everybody else! :)

There are more aviation related accomplishments that I could have added, but I typed my reply in a hasty fashion.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

SportPilot wrote:Paul, why haven't you banned this guy already? He just deleted the part that said "welcome to the end of your flying days." He needs to go. He is nothing but a narcissists who belittles everyone here in a feeble attempt to boost his own ego. Look at his blog to see who this guy really is. He will be 65 in April, so I don't know why he pretends to be some young guy with decades of flying ahead of him.
With an attitude as his, I doubt he will see "decades of flying."
Something is bound to happen.
I have seen this movie before.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

CTLSi wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
There are more aviation related accomplishments that I could have added, but I typed my reply in a hasty fashion.
Aviation is not an accomplishment. It's a mode of transportation. (for some a hobby)

Since when does a bus or taxi driver lay claim to 'special' accomplishment. They can't. Nor can anyone that gets a drivers license.

And that's just kinda is the point, right?

Bottom line? You are flying at the same level as any 20 hour sport pilot off the street. The pecking order you think exists, does not exist.
I didn't say aviation was an accomplishment, I said aviation related accomplishments. However learning to fly is an accomplishment, especially for someone like you.

When I said accomplishments, I meant like restoring an Oshkosh award winning grand champion antique, or the fact that every student I have signed off for a checkride has passed the first time. I think those would be considered accomplishments by anybody except maybe you.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about me flying at the same level as a 20 hour sport pilot, unless you are referring to flying with a drivers license. I do fly with a drivers license for my valid photo ID, but I also carry a valid second class flight physical.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

SportPilot wrote:In my short 66+ years, I have never before come across someone who knows so little and claims to know so much.
That could not have been said better and pretty much sums it all up.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
drseti

Post by drseti »

It is generally my style not to respond publicly to complaints against members, but never has one participant seeded such discord within an otherwise collegial community. I am a strong advocate of free speech, appreciate CTLSi's participation, and have indeed learned something from some of his posts. But I will make exceptions to my policies when conditions warrant. CTLSi, you have succeeded in offending just about everyone on Sport Pilot Talk, not just a few. Any further deviciveness, and I will be forced to violate my own rule against banning members.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US