Written exam sign-off form from Gleim?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

rezaf_2000

Written exam sign-off form from Gleim?

Post by rezaf_2000 »

Does anyone know if the Gleim online ground school will issue you the FAA sign-off form at the end of the 14 lessons and the "end-of-course" test? Or do I also need to finish the 761 questions on the "Gleim FAA test prep online" program in addition to finishing the "Gleim ground school"?
200 hours of flight and counting
drseti

Re: Written exam sign-off form from Gleim?

Post by drseti »

My students use the Gleim material, but I still give them a personal logbook endorsement to take to the knowledge testing center.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

I used Gleim as well for written prep and was very happy. It is my understanding that Gleim recommends having your instructor provide the sign-off, however they will provide the sign-off directly if you request it. I actually had sign-offs from both just in case. It probably makes sense to have your instructor sign-off as he/she will have to re-endorse that they reviewed your test results with you and provided additional training of any material that you might have answered wrong. Not to worry though, if you pass Gleim you should score very well on the written.

By the way, I found the King School video for the Oral and Checkride prep to be most helpful. In addition to the content, it was great preparation for the overall flow of the checkride and removed a lot of anxiety over the process. The video presents the oral and checkride as a bit of a role-play of sorts. The examiner plays the role of an intelligent almost non-pilot passenger asking lots of questions... and the exam candidate presents the proper demeanor in communication of knowledge and demonstration of skills.

Good luck!
rezaf_2000

Post by rezaf_2000 »

Thanks everyone. To update this thread, right after you finish the "end-of-course" test (40 questions), it gives you the sign-off form signed by Dr. Irvin Gleim. No need to finish the other program (FAA test prep online).
rezaf_2000

Post by rezaf_2000 »

Just to provide a final update for future readers of this thread, the Gleim's sign-off form was accepted with no problem at the CATS testing facility; they didn't require a signature or an additional sign-off from my instructor.

Now, with the written test and the solo flight already done, I can see glimmers of light at the end of the tunnel!
AJChenMPH

Post by AJChenMPH »

Go go go!! :mrgreen:

I was actually lazy and just did the written exam in the back of the test prep book, brought it in to show my CFI, and he signed my logbook, which I then took in to the testing center.
Andy / PP-ASEL
designrs

Post by designrs »

Another step done. Good job! Keep at it.