First solo!

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

rezaf_2000

First solo!

Post by rezaf_2000 »

I did my first solo yesterday, right at the 20th hour! Woohoo, what a thrill!

It was a very calm day, and when my instructor said he feels I'm ready, I decided to go for it. I did three touch and goes before a full landing, and when I got back I couldn't stop grinning! Here's the video, with the mandatory cheesy music.

I had done a handful of simulated engine failure landings before, but I should thank the lord for not throwing me a curveball during my first solo! Also thanks to the support from the forum members here.
200 hours of flight and counting
CTLSi

Re: First solo!

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rezaf_2000

Post by rezaf_2000 »

CTLSi wrote:
rezaf_2000 wrote:I did my first solo yesterday, right at the 20th hour! Woohoo, what a thrill!

It was a very calm day, and when my instructor said he feels I'm ready, I decided to go for it. I did three touch and goes before a full landing, and when I got back I couldn't stop grinning! Here's the video, with the mandatory cheesy music.

I had done a handful of simulated engine failure landings before, but I should thank the lord for not throwing me a curveball during my first solo! Also thanks to the support from the forum members here.
Congrats on your achievement.

The requirement is for three full stop landings and a taxi back to the start of the runway between each. I see you are on grass so I assume you were not expected to do that...
Well the CFI asked me to do 3 touch and goes and one full stop (four landings) and that's what I did :P I hope it's what he needs. In my logbook, he wrote "great job!". I guess that would work as some sort of endorsement?!
CTLSi wrote:
Did your CFI sign you off to fly your solo cross country now?
No, I think he wants me to do the dual cross country with him first.
200 hours of flight and counting
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

SportPilot wrote:
CTLSi wrote:
The requirement is for three full stop landings and a taxi back to the start of the runway between each. I see you are on grass so I assume you were not expected to do that...

Did your CFI sign you off to fly your solo cross country now?
There is no such requirement.
As long as he maintained coordinated flight, so he couldn't stall :)

Almost every time I read a CTLSi post, I'm reminded of the famous quote ... "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"

Congratulations Rezaf
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Color me impressed!

Great job!

Later you will reflect on the anxiety your instructor probably felt. I never turned anyone loose until I was sure they were ready, but there's always that lingering doubt and you never know for certain how the student will do all by his or her lonesome.

But you did him proud! Another hurdle passed.

And the Sting Sport looks like a great trainer - good choice there as well.

Go get 'em!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

There aren't too many things that come with the same sense of accomplishment as the First Solo. Congrats!

Now go get that piece of paper.
- Bruce
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

It's at the point of the solo where you should really start to consider yourself a pilot. You can now safely takeoff, fly, and land an airplane...if that is not a pilot, I don't know what is! The rest of your training will be refining those skills, adding new ones like navigation and decision making, and gaining experience in different conditions.

Congrats, this is a really big step in your flying! 8)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Reza, you did a very nice job - congratulations! Looks like a nice training airport, too.

So...now comes one of those student challenges that goes beyond flying itself, which in fact affect all of us as winter looms. Namely, keeping up the training regimen with the onset of increasingly hostile weather. So become a Weather Hawk, keeping a lookout on the upcoming weather, and working with your instructor to insure you keep training. Winter's doubly tough because you also lose early evening/late afternoon flight time after a conventional work schedule of 8-5. You may want to talk with your work supervisor about this, if you have a regular work sked, as winter training up north usually requires some flexibility from the employer.

Good luck to you!
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
drseti

Post by drseti »

MrMorden wrote:It's at the point of the solo where you should really start to consider yourself a pilot. You can now safely takeoff, fly, and land an airplane...if that is not a pilot, I don't know what is!
Actually, I tell my students that achieving first solo makes you an airplane driver. (Still a great accomplishment). Come back for the post-solo training, learn the weather, navigation, flight planning, cross country operations, unfamiliar airport procedures, basic instrument survival skills, etc., hone those skills, pass your knowledge and practical tests, and then you will be a pilot.

As Obi-Wan said to Luke, "Impressive. But you are not a Jedi yet." :D
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

drseti wrote:

Still, I sense the power strong with this one is.*

* Karen says my hairy ears entitle me to like Yoda speak.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

drseti wrote:
MrMorden wrote:It's at the point of the solo where you should really start to consider yourself a pilot. You can now safely takeoff, fly, and land an airplane...if that is not a pilot, I don't know what is!
Actually, I tell my students that achieving first solo makes you an airplane driver. (Still a great accomplishment). Come back for the post-solo training, learn the weather, navigation, flight planning, cross country operations, unfamiliar airport procedures, basic instrument survival skills, etc., hone those skills, pass your knowledge and practical tests, and then you will be a pilot.

I have about 500 hours & an IR, but I'd never consider myself a "pilot". I tell people I'm legal to fly the airplane, but far from considering myself a "pilot".

FastEddie and a few others on here ... now they're pilots!
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

rezaf_2000 wrote:I did my first solo yesterday, right at the 20th hour! Woohoo, what a thrill!
Congratulations rezaf_2000 . . . well done and welcome to our club! . . . 8)
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

BrianL99 wrote:
I have about 500 hours & an IR, but I'd never consider myself a "pilot". I tell people I'm legal to fly the airplane, but far from considering myself a "pilot".

FastEddie and a few others on here ... now they're pilots!
Well, there are pilots and there are pilots.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.