Altitude Reference: Stratus 2 WAAS or Altimeter?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

designrs

Altitude Reference: Stratus 2 WAAS or Altimeter?

Post by designrs »

The Stratus 2 now provides WAAS accuracy. My correctly set altimeter showed about a 250' difference in altitude from the Stratus. So what altitude reference is best?

If I'm flying VFR altitudes (3,500, 4,500 etc.) which altitude reference is better to use, WAAS or altimeter?

What if I'm flying just above Maximun Elevation Figure for a given quadrant? Which altitude reference will keep me safer?

What about flying under a Bravo shelf? What altitude reference is best?

Thanks.
SportPilot

Re: Altitude Reference: Stratus 2 WAAS or Altimeter?

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
designrs

Post by designrs »

OK. So that's the FAR. Thank you.

Isn't WAAS more accurate?
What do IFR pilots use? I would think that IFR relies on WAAS especially when down to minimums?
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

SportPilot is right.

We all have to fly indicated altitude, or all bets are off re: separation.

And that will almost always be different from true altitude, given that pressure and temperature lapse rates are rarely standard.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
designrs

Post by designrs »

Got it.

I wouldn't be surprised if that FAR doesn't get rewritten in 2020 when supposedly everyone will have WAAS GPS ADS-B. Somehow the whole airspace standard will have to reconcile the two systems. Then again, I suppose RADAR stations have been reporting true altitude all along?
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

It might be more accurate (I don't know), but not everyone has a GPS, let alone a WAAS GPS. Remember, even after 2020, not everyone will have to have one, depending on where they fly, and there are lots of places where both equipped and non equipped will be in the same airspace.
- Bruce
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Only tangentially related, but...

...when told to fly a heading, don't try to show off with your fancy GPS thingee and fly that precise course instead.

The controller knows the prevailing winds, and assigns headings with those already in mind.

I know of several people who were in the habit of doing this, and like altitudes it works best if everyone follows the same conventions.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

FastEddieB wrote:Only tangentially related, but...

...when told to fly a heading, don't try to show off with your fancy GPS thingee and fly that precise course instead.

The controller knows the prevailing winds, and assigns headings with those already in mind.

I know of several people who were in the habit of doing this, and like altitudes it works best if everyone follows the same conventions.

Good & accurate advice, Eddie. We're starting to see more and more pilots who learned with glass and forget there was a whole different world out there, around which the current regulations and customs were designed.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

This questions comes up from time to time. Basically your GPS altitude is more accurate but pressure altitude is what is used to fly in the system.
c162pilot wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong here but I would assume that barometric altitude with the correct pressure setting should equal GPS altitude.

I do not know about the accuracy of the barometer in the iPhone but I have noticed that the GPS altitude can be off by several hundred feet from the indicated altitude (with current baro setting) that I see on my panel also Garmin Pilot has both a psudo panel with a VSI and a PFD with VSI that may be more accurate with a real barometer I would suspect.
My prior answer:

Nope, you would need to correct for temperature as well and the pressure you input will never be precise for your specific location and altitude. The ATIS/ASOS reading is at ground level at a specific point. It can vary quite a bit just a few miles away or even a couple thousand feet up. Really cold or really hot days (big difference from 59F) can introduce an error of a few hundred feet.

BTW -- GPS altitude is likely to be more accurate than your basic altimeter. GPS altitude is based on the WGS-84 ellipsoid model (sometimes called HAE) which can be several hundred feet off depending on the distance from the poles. But many GPS units (and the ADS-B system) map this ellipsoid to a more refined geoid model (GEOID12A) which is highly accurate. With a WAAS GPS your true altitude will be within a couple meters.

Altimeters have an allowable error of 200 ft. Also, temperature deviation from standard further erodes the accuracy by 4% for each 10C delta from ISA.
dave
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

CTLSi wrote:In an all glass cockpit ... the heading (HSI) is sourced from the GPS input, you know the 'thingee' that guys with only a mag compass don't have...
The heading comes from the magnetometer. GPS can supply your track when you are moving but it doesn't account for crabbing into the wind. When you do so your track and heading do not match.

I have 2 GPS on my panel, one in my EFIS and one in my 496. The EFIS with its magnetometer can depict the plane's crab as well as follow track vs bearing, the 496 can't do that.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Attachments
SkyView_HSI_Detailed_smaller.jpg
SkyView_HSI_Detailed_smaller.jpg (59.3 KiB) Viewed 7443 times
Last edited by CTLSi on Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

CTLSi, do you have a magnetic compass located overhead on the cross tube in your airplane?
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

CTLSi wrote:When there is no wind, both Track and Heading will be the same.
My CT can't be bothered keeping its nose in the wind. When I focus I focus on matching track and bearing. You can swing your nose left or right, changing your heading while maintaining your track. The same tendency to fly happily while a bit sideways causes uneven fuel usage and erroneous wind calculations too.