Altitude Reference: Stratus 2 WAAS or Altimeter?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

MrMorden

Re: Altitude Reference: Stratus 2 WAAS or Altimeter?

Post by MrMorden »

drseti wrote:FWIW, both the Dynon D100 EFIS I have in my plane and the Dynon Skyviews I've flown in other people's planes have a magnetic heading indication available as a tape across the top of the screen. And, in both cases, the magnetic heading information comes from a flux gate magnetometer installed in the aircraft. The Dynon EFIS units work just fine with all GPS units turned off, and display magnetic heading, not ground track. So, if an autopilot is being driven by an EFIS, it should certainly be possible to select heading mode, to follow a magnetic pointing direction (properly known as a HEADING).
Agreed there is no reason an EFIS can't pass heading information to an AP. But my TruTrak is not set up that way, and I'm not really sure if it can be; TT support told me the DigiFlight series cannot integrate in that way with the Dynon D-100 I have. Not sure if that is a design decision of TT for all EFIS, or just the D-100.

I can, however, understand why an AP manufacturer would want to rely on an internal magnetic heading source they have engineering control over, rather than a source from an external device where they have no control over the quality of the magnetic data. This both from a technical and a liability perspective; I would not want some other guy's device using my company's autopilot to steer a plane into a mountain because of a crappy compass.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Valuable thread.

I guess if they can cram a working compass into an iPhone, it should not surprise me they can do it in an autopilot.

Still surprised they can get a reliable magnetic field in the middle or bottom of a panel and so close to other electronics - compasses are usually mounted away from other stuff as much as possible.

But live and learn!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Eddie, we used fluxgate compasses on WHOOSH two decades ago without concern for interference. It's just another way to skin the 'no magnetic compass' cat insofar as I can see.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

WHOOSH?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
designrs

Post by designrs »

FastEddieB wrote:WHOOSH?
The version that came out shortly after ZOOOOOM!

:lol:
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org