Max Climb & Turn

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

designrs

Max Climb & Turn

Post by designrs »

I had an aborted landing today that was somewhat challenging. Lots of turbulence on final. Decision made to abort landing from about 300 feet up. It needed a rapid climb and 90+ degree turn to avoid terrain. Very non-traditional. There was a mountain at the other end of the runway. It was not a stay in the pattern type of thing. It was more like, get out of there!

My best angle of climb is 60 kts. So if I climb at 60 kts while executing a 30 degree bank turn with the ball centered am I safe in avoiding a stall?
SportPilot

Re: Max Climb & Turn

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Yes. It was intended to be a landing on a paved runway, but the airport was small, there was Class-C airspace above it. Mountains on the opposite end of the runway. Located in a valley that picked up winds, combined with kind of a mountain pass where the winds blew through. Lots of stuff going on. It was a low wind day but still getting tossed around on final. Too many issues.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

A 30 degree turn will increase your stall speed by 7% (45 degrees is 19% and 60 is 41%). This comes to around 3 kts for an LSA so you were fine. 45 degrees could be a bit more problematic.
dave
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

CTLSi wrote:As long as the ball is centered you are coordinated you won't stall.
No, that's not right. As long as the ball is centered, you are coordinated; you won't spin. Certainly you can stall. You stall every time you land properly (hopefully, with the ball centered). And you practice stalls all the time, with the ball centered!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

CTLSi wrote: As long as the ball is centered you are coordinated you won't stall.
This is a dangerous bit of misinformation. Is it what you really meant to say?
John Horn
Independence Airpark (7S5), OR
CFII, LSRM-A
Rotax Service, Maint, and Heavy Maint. trained
Flying a CTSW, building an RV-12
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

CTLSi wrote:
designrs wrote:
As long as the ball is centered you are coordinated you won't stall.

How many hours of flying time do you have? Are you licensed?
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I'm really starting to think someone needs a 709 ride.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

This thread raises a question. We all learned that stall speeds increase with bank angle, but are other speeds affected? Do Vx or Vy increase?
- Bruce
drseti

Post by drseti »

I think not, Bruce. Vx and Vy are both related to lift-to-drag ratio. In a bank, neither changes (although the direction of lift is still perpendicular to the wing, thus no longer vertical).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

SportPilot wrote:In my short 66+ years, I have never before come across someone who knows so little and claims to know so much.
CTLSi wrote:As long as the ball is centered you are coordinated you won't stall.
Priceless.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

SportPilot hit the nail on the head. Stall speed goes up based on load factor rather than just bank angle. Load factor only parallels bank angle in a steady state turn. Climbing and turning could increase the stall speed more than turning itself.
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

Wm.Ince wrote:
SportPilot wrote:In my short 66+ years, I have never before come across someone who knows so little and claims to know so much.
Priceless.

It boggles the mind.