Broken Throttle Cable

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

AJChenMPH

Re: Broken Throttle Cable

Post by AJChenMPH »

Thread hijack and digression time...
drseti wrote:Note that none of this applies with a Rotax engine, which has self-compensating carbs and no mixture control.
No kidding (I have yet to fly in a Rotax-powered plane) -- so that explains why I only see two levers in all the interior pics of Rotax-powered planes...just throttle and carb ice, huh?
Andy / PP-ASEL
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

AJChenMPH wrote:No kidding (I have yet to fly in a Rotax-powered plane) -- so that explains why I only see two levers in all the interior pics of Rotax-powered planes...just throttle and carb ice, huh?
3 Levers, throttle choke and brake
Last edited by CharlieTango on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
designrs

Post by designrs »

2 levers, throttle & choke.

Andy... I still have your contact info.
We must get you up in a Rotax machine!

:D
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

CharlieTango wrote:
AJChenMPH wrote:No kidding (I have yet to fly in a Rotax-powered plane) -- so that explains why I only see two levers in all the interior pics of Rotax-powered planes...just throttle and carb ice, huh?
2 Levers, throttle and brake

2 Levers, throttle and choke (Sportcruiser)
- Bruce
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Attachments
Fish_eye_gold.jpg
Fish_eye_gold.jpg (63.94 KiB) Viewed 7153 times
Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
AJChenMPH

Post by AJChenMPH »

designrs wrote:2 levers, throttle & choke.

Andy... I still have your contact info.
We must get you up in a Rotax machine!

:D
Let me know next time you're in the area! :)
CTLSi wrote:In the Rotax 912iS fuel injected engine there is no mixture control knob or choke. Just a throttle. The ECU (computer control) manages fuel and sensors.
Another plane I'm looking at, the Discovery XL-2 (née Liberty XL-2), has FADEC so it's set up the same way: single lever for engine control.
Andy / PP-ASEL
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

AJChenMPH wrote: Another plane I'm looking at, the Discovery XL-2 (née Liberty XL-2), has FADEC so it's set up the same way: single lever for engine control.

There's probably not a jet or turbine engine in production that doesn't use FADEC. Of course, if your realm of knowledge is limited to 3 minutes on Wiki, you might not know that.

"Loss of FADEC" means the engine won't run, but that's no different than saying your engine won't run if you're out of gas. FADEC usually runs (2) simultaneous (redundant) data channels, as well as having a backup electrical source.

The engines typical used in airplanes are based on 50 year old technology. FADEC is a step towards the modern engines our automobiles have been running for 25+ years. It's an awesome system.

The Liberty XL is a neat little airplane. It has a few quirks, but it's a lot of airplane for the money. I test flew one before buying my Cirrus a few years back.
rezaf_2000

Post by rezaf_2000 »

drseti wrote: I did indeed file an ASRS report, just for good measure. The Navy hospitality was great. I wrote the incident up in two chapters of my book "Winging It With Dr. Paul" (now long out of print). Excerpts at: http://avsport.org/publicat/nonfict/goaround.htm and http://avsport.org/publicat/nonfict/navy.htm
I like the excerpts on your website, it's a shame there's no copy on Amazon.

Have to go study now, the written test is in 66 hours!
200 hours of flight and counting
AJChenMPH

Post by AJChenMPH »

BrianL99 wrote:The Liberty XL is a neat little airplane. It has a few quirks, but it's a lot of airplane for the money. I test flew one before buying my Cirrus a few years back.
Do you recall what the quirks were/are? I've read somewhere that it's a little trickier to land than some other planes, but wasn't able to find any elaboration...

(What was I saying about a thread hijack?)
Andy / PP-ASEL
drseti

Post by drseti »

rezaf_2000 wrote:Have to go study now, the written test is in 66 hours!
Cramming for 66 hours?!? I'll bet you didn't even do that in grad school. :shock:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

drseti wrote:
Cramming for 66 hours?!? I'll bet you didn't even do that in grad school. :shock:
I assume they have better drugs now! :twisted:
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

FastEddieB wrote:
drseti wrote:
Cramming for 66 hours?!? I'll bet you didn't even do that in grad school.
Acually, two pots of black coffee served me well. . . :shock:
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
rezaf_2000

Post by rezaf_2000 »

FastEddieB wrote:
drseti wrote:
Alas, even 5 hour energy couldn't pull it off! Had to reschedule it for Sunday. Wish me luck!
200 hours of flight and counting
Torque

Post by Torque »

Just a couple years ago this happened to me. Here is my story:

Had my little EAB in the shop doing end of year condition inspection and maintenance work. IA walks by and points to my throttle cable, he said XYZ needed repaired or it would fail someday. Then he told me to make sure a spring was added so when it broke the throttle would go wide open, he then walked away.

I go back to what I am doing and forget all about this conversation. Mistake number 1. Never added that spring mistake 2.

About 40 hrs flight time later on a take off I hear this voice in the back of my head. Its telling me to turn back to the runway. I cross the numbers at the end of the runway and make a banking turn back. Just as I level wings in a climb parallel to the runway I hear a load bang, the throttle goes to just above idle. I lower the nose and slide the airplane back over the runway and land using the choke to control engine speed. About 5' from touch down I shut down the engine.

If I would have made a straight out takeoff, I would have been over tree's and full grown corn. In a 400lbs low wing taildragger this could have turned out bad.

Tony