Topic Deleted By OP

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

SportPilot

Topic Deleted By OP

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Merlinspop

Re: Seaplane Rating

Post by Merlinspop »

SportPilot wrote:I was thinking it might be fun to get a Sport Pilot seaplane rating. Does anyone have a recommendation for a program in the southeast USA where this could be accomplished in a 2 or 3 day program? I'm sure Google could find something, but I'm interested in a recommendation from someone who has actual experience with a program they liked. Thanks.
Don't have a specific recommendation, but if you do resort to Mr. Google, remember if a J3 on floats counts.
- Bruce
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I have heard good things about Brown in Florida. Lots of people have gotten their sea plane rating there. I haven't been there personally, but have spoken to people who have. They have been in business a long time. If I was going to do one that is where I would go.
http://brownsseaplane.com/
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Hey, you could take of and do the seaplane rating instead of the BFR in the 172. It would kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Jack Brown's Seaplane Base is great, but AFAIK they only do the ASES add-on under PP and above rules. If you choose to do just the SP seaplane add-on, you can do that without an FAA written or DPE checkride (takes two instructors; one to train you and the other to give you a proficiency check -- and that proficiency check can double as a flight review). See my recent webinar "Category and Class" at eaa.org/webinars for details.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

You can take Look at 61.23, but the way I read it you need a third class medical to do a practical in an aircraft test for any rating from recreational on up. Looks like a sport pilot add on is in order.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

SportPilot wrote:I doubt there is a written involved.
There is if you're an ATP (per FAR 61.165). If you're a Commercial, then you are correct.
I would rather do the full seaplane rating added to my Commercial than the Sport Pilot endorsement if they can do that and the DPE can act as PIC.
He or she probably can, but you are still required to have a current medical to do that checkride at the Commercial level. :cry:
By the way, adding a seaplane rating to a Commercial license would also serve as a flight review.
So can the SP category/class add-on, as long as you ask Instructor #2 (the one who gives you your proficiency check) to log it that way.

You might want to view my recent EAA Category/Class webinar online, as it covers all of this.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I am under the impression that SportPilot has let his medical lapse (and I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong). But, as I've tried to tell you before, with or without a medical he's still a Commercial Pilot. Nobody took that certificate away from him. If he flies with a Driver's License medical, he can only fly an LSA, within SP restrictions -- but he's still a Commercial Pilot. (We have quite a few folks on this forum who are still Private Pilots, Commercial Pilots, and ATPs, whose medicals have lapsed for various reasons. They are not ex-PPs, ex-CPs, or ex-ATPs; they still hold those licenses.)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

SportPilot wrote:I don't think it makes a bit of difference because I'll probably never fly a seaplane again.
Ah, but if you do, I suspect Brown's course will make you both legal and safe. They have a great reputation. I have a friend who went through that program last year. One of these days, I will too...
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US