Topic Deleted By OP

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: Seaplane Rating

Post by drseti »

SportPilot wrote: The Top Dragster is $1,000 per 1/4 mile pass
Let me get this straight -- that's $4000 per mile, or about the cost of space flight. Damn!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Not bad! Costs only the same as 1.4 runs down the dragstrip. I should do that.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

CTLSi wrote:
Guys that list former certifications no longer valid are kidding themselves...
My certificate is valid. It is the only certificate I have and I keep it valid so that I am legal when flying my airplane.

If it was no longer valid I wouldn't be legal.
drseti

Post by drseti »

CTLSi wrote:He is not a commercial or private pilot if he has no medical.
Absolutely untrue. Cite me an FAR that says this.
he can't fly for pay
Absolutely untrue. Flight instructors fly for pay all the time, with or without a medical. Cite me an FAR that says we can't.

he can't fly anything other than an LSA.
Absolutely untrue. The FARs merely say he or she can't be PIC in anything other than an LSA. Cite me an FAR that says otherwise.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

CTLSi,

You continue to be completely incorrect in your assertion. The certification level does not change, nor does the certificate expire. It is the privileges that the pilot is legally able to exercise that changes when the medical expires.

The wording on my certificate says "Private Pilot". The molecules of the ink didn't magically rearrange themselves to say "Sport Pilot" the day my medical expired. I'm a Private Pilot, currently limited to Sport Pilot priviledges. Period.

This is no different than an ATP being perfectly legal to exercise private pilot priviledges the day after his first class medical expires (because it is still valid as a second class, then third). He or she is still an ATP, but can't exercise the full priviledges of that ticket.
- Bruce
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

SportPilot wrote:Getting my flight review Wednesday in a C172. Had I known I would be signing up for the seaplane endorsement, I would not have scheduled the flight review, but I'll go ahead with it. I don't like to cancel out on people.
Maybe Mother Nature will do it for you.
- Bruce
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

CTLSi wrote:
drseti wrote:I am under the impression that SportPilot has let his medical lapse (and I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong). But, as I've tried to tell you before, with or without a medical he's still a Commercial Pilot. Nobody took that certificate away from him. If he flies with a Driver's License medical, he can only fly an LSA, within SP restrictions -- but he's still a Commercial Pilot. (We have quite a few folks on this forum who are still Private Pilots, Commercial Pilots, and ATPs, whose medicals have lapsed for various reasons. They are not ex-PPs, ex-CPs, or ex-ATPs; they still hold those licenses.)
He is not a commercial or private pilot if he has no medical. And, A. he can't fly for pay B. he can't fly anything other than an LSA.

WHAT you are allowed to fly is the key...not what certs held before expired medicals. He is restricted to 2-seaters with a 1320 weight restriction. And can't fly over 10k feet and in VFR only.

Guys that list former certifications no longer valid are kidding themselves...

(here is an analogy. any of us COULD fly combat jets, helicopters and Boeing 777s, but none of us will be flying those things unless we have the full qualification to do so, including training, certification AND 1st, 2nd or 3rd class medical as applicable).
You can continue to argue this if you want, but it just makes you look like an idiot.

If you look at 61.19 you will see that most pilot certificates do not expire, this covers sport, recreational, private, commercial, and ATP.

The medical certificate and when it was issued determines what privileges you can exercise. Once you get to the Drivers' License you may only exercise the privileges of a sport pilot, Like I suggested once before you should take a look at the chart at the bottom of 61.23. Here is a good example of how it works. An ATP with a first class physical issued 18 month ago is can not fly as an ATP, but he can fly anything he is rated for as an individual. However he is still an ATP with a first class physical. At the end of 24 calendar months the first class physical will expire if he was over 40 when it was issued. When this happens he can exercise the privileges of a sport pilot with a valid Drivers' License. At any point he can get a physical and start exercising the privileges allowed by that physical. If he gests a first class physical he can exercise ATP privileges.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

3Dreaming wrote: You can continue to argue this if you want, but it just makes you look like an idiot.
Have you considered we might be dealing with an actual learning disability here?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]