How to get "student pilot certificate" for sport pilot

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

rezaf_2000

How to get "student pilot certificate" for sport pilot

Post by rezaf_2000 »

How would one get a student pilot certificate? Here's what I know:

1. Go to an FSDO in person during work hours and get one for free. This is not an option for me, since I have to get a work-week day off and drive a couple of hours to another city and back.
2. An AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) can issue you one. But since we don't need 3rd degree medical for the sport pilot certificate, this would be unnecessary and too expensive ($150 from my local AME, and his earliest available appointment is at least a month away).
3. Get one from a sport pilot DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner). This is convenient, as there are many more DPEs than FSDOs. I even found one in my city, and he'll get me a student certificate for $20. Here's a full list, just in case:
https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificat ... aminer.pdf

Given the choices, I will have to pick the third option.

Now here are my confusions, it would be great if anyone can shed some insight here:

1. Do I need to register on the FAA IACRA website (https://iacra.faa.gov/) before going to the examiner, and take a printout or my login information to him? If so, when I click on "register" in the FAA IACRA page, the first thing it asks me is an "Airman Certificate Number" and its date of issuance. Obviously I don't have this, since this is my first step in my piloting journey. Am I missing something? Where should I get this number?

2. Or maybe I should fill a paper form manually? If so, which of these two forms do I need to fill and take to the DPE? A) 8710-11, or B) 8710-1?
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/medi ... 710-11.pdf
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/medi ... 2-2014.pdf

3. Or does the DPE fill the proper paper form himself? Or does IACRA fill the appropriate form and give me a printout to take to the DPE?

As you can see, I'm quite a bit confused here! :(
200 hours of flight and counting
3Dreaming

Re: How to get "student pilot certificate" for sport pilot

Post by 3Dreaming »

Call the IACRA support number and ask about the pilot certificate number. There has to be away around not having one. I know I have had students fill out an application before to get a student pilot certificate. The other option is if the DPE will do it the old fashioned paper method.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

The info below is specific to Sport Pilots. It's slightly different if you are going straight for a license that requires an FAA medical. Form 8710-11 is the new one, specifically for Sport applicants. 8710-1 is for all others.

Yes, you can go to any FSDO and get one without paying a fee, but you must have an appointment first, and you must bring photo ID. Most (not all) FSDOs will require you to have filled out an 8710-11 on IACRA. Bring a hardcopy with you, as their connection could well be down when you get there! :(

Any DPE (not just a Sport DPE) can issue you one. An 8710-11 and appointment still apply. They are independent contractors, so free to set their own fee. Most charge $10 to $20.

An AME can not issue a student certificate without also doing an exam and issuing a medical. So, if you don't want or need a medical, go the FSDO or DPE route.

When you start the application process, the 8710-11 asks if you are applying for Sport, Balloon, or Glider. Click yes, as otherwise you will be required to have a medical. You will also be asked if you hold a pilot certificate. Click no. Then, if asked for certificate number, leave that block blank. The IACRA system will accept your form without it.

When you register with IACRA, you will receive a Federal Tracking Number (FTN). Write this down; you'll have to supply this to FSDO and DPE when applying for your student certificate, and also give it to your CFI when ready to be recommended for a checkride. Do not give anybody your username and password.

Your CFI should be walking you through all this.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rezaf_2000

Post by rezaf_2000 »

Thank you so very much everyone, with special thanks to Dr. Shuch for the detailed explanation. I left the field asking for the "Airman Certificate Number" empty, and it registered me in the system without a hitch. I have a federal tracking number as well.

Once in the system, I started the application for a student pilot, and as Paul suggested answered yes to "Balloon, glider or sport". Now it is asking me to enter "any flight hours for this application into the Aeronautical Experience Grid, if applicable". Should I start entering my logbook entries that I have so far (total 16 hours of training) in that table? I was under the impression that I could get a student pilot certificate even with 0 hours? If I need to enter my 16 hours, I assume number 16 should be entered in lines 1 and 2 of the table, under the "airplane" column? Do I need to enter 0 in every other cell of this matrix (see the picture below)? I want to make sure to fill the application correctly before I submit it, as apparently there is no way to fix an error once it is submitted.

P.S. Yes, I wish my CFI would do this for me. Alas, as good as he is in flight instruction, he told me to just go to an FSDO and they will take care of it. :( I'm very glad we have such a helpful and active community here on sportpilottalk.com to help fill the gaps!
Attachments
Screenshot 2014-09-22 00.07.18.png
Screenshot 2014-09-22 00.07.18.png (75.02 KiB) Viewed 7021 times
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Leave the experience grid blank for now. You'll have a chance to fill that in when you apply for your checkride (at which time you'll essentially be updating your existing 8710-11 on IACRA).

And, once again, holding a student's hand through this process is something a flight instructor ought to be doing. If your CFI isn't forthcoming in this regard, you might gently remind him or her that students need help navigating the system. Inexperienced CFIs especially need to be trained - sometimes, by their more proactive students!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rezaf_2000

Post by rezaf_2000 »

Thanks everyone for your kind help. I finished up and submitted the form. Turns out IACRA automatically fills a 8710-1 form, not the newer 8710-11. Instead, in the comment section on the third page it mentions "Applicant is applying for a Glider, Balloon or Sport."

I'm meeting with the local DPE on Thursday, we'll see how that goes.

Thanks again for all your suggestions and hand-holding!
rezaf_2000

Post by rezaf_2000 »

Just to have this thread updated for future applicants, I met the DPE and he issued me the student pilot certificate without a hitch. Thanks again to all the helpful members of this thread.

I'm now ready for solo, well at least I have the documents ready! :lol: