Ranting about the gleim instruction kit

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

rezaf_2000

Ranting about the gleim instruction kit

Post by rezaf_2000 »

Well, first things first, I finally managed to start my flying lessons! You might remember me from last year trying to do so, but I fractured a finger and couldn't do it.

This time, I got an instructor and the gleim kit that he recommended. The kit has 14 ground study units and 21 flight units in its syllabus. What I did was to trust their lesson sequence and study ground units one and two and then went to my first flight lesson yesterday. It turns out I was totally and utterly unprepared. Looking at it now (I have my next flying lesson in a couple of hours), you really have to study the gleim material backwards! As in, start with stage three: units 11 (airplanes principles), 12 (airplane instruments), 13 (airplane engines and systems) and 14 (airplane performance and weight and balance). Then get your flying lessons started. Then you can move back to stage two: unit 10: navigation and preflight inspection, unit 8: weather services. Then you can read the rest of the units in whatever order.

In other words, it seems you really have to either finish gleim ground lessons *before* your first flying lesson, or move backwards if you want to study and fly together. The lesson sequence they have put together (in page 7 of their syllabus booklet) seems totally wrong to me! The problem is, their online course component enforces the sequence they have chosen, and you can not start stage three (units 11, 12, 13 and 14) before you finish all the study units before then.

Ok, time to end the rant and get back to studying unit 11 & 12 from the book (it doesn't allow me to use the online tool as I mentioned earlier).
200 hours of flight and counting
drseti

Re: Ranting about the gleim instruction kit

Post by drseti »

I fault not Gleim, but rather your instructor, for not having his or her own syllabus prepared, which tells you exactly which Gleim ground lesson to study before a given flight lesson. It's up to the instructor to establish a sequence which makes the most sense to you, considering your background, expertise, and the type of aircraft in which you are training. This is what's called individualized instruction, and it's up to your instructor to make it work.

If it's not happening, discuss this with you instructor. If it's still not happening, select an instructor whose teaching style is compatible with your learning style. There's no way a book publisher is ever going to be able to sequence lessons in a way that are compatible with your individual needs! That's why we have flight instructors... otherwise, everyone would just learn to fly out of a book.

Oh - and the online test prep software is merely a tool for helping you to prepare for your FAA knowledge test. It's way too early to be worrying about that. I recommend that my students work with me toward first solo, and then take a break from flying for a couple of weeks to prepare for the written. After that's out of the way, then they get back to flying, preparing for their cross-countries, solo practice, and ultimately the checkride.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:I fault not Gleim, but rather your instructor, for not having his or her own syllabus prepared, which tells you exactly which Gleim ground lesson to study before a given flight lesson. It's up to the instructor to establish a sequence which makes the most sense to you, considering your background, expertise, and the type of aircraft in which you are training. This is what's called individualized instruction, and it's up to your instructor to make it work.

If it's not happening, discuss this with you instructor. If it's still not happening, select an instructor whose teaching style is compatible with your learning style. There's no way a book publisher is ever going to be able to sequence lessons in a way that are compatible with your individual needs! That's why we have flight instructors... otherwise, everyone would just learn to fly out of a book.

Oh - and the online test prep software is merely a tool for helping you to prepare for your FAA knowledge test. It's way too early to be worrying about that. I recommend that my students work with me toward first solo, and then take a break from flying for a couple of weeks to prepare for the written. After that's out of the way, then they get back to flying, preparing for their cross-countries, solo practice, and ultimately the checkride.
Great advice for anyone interested in learning to fly. . . . 8)
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

Disclaimer - I am not an instructor. But I did do both sport pilot program and the private pilot program in recent history.

That said, I found a pretty big disconnect between written material that prepares you for the knowledge test and written material that helps you learn and understand how to fly an airplane.

For learning how to fly an airplane, my three top books are Kershner's The Student Pilot's Flight Manual, the FAA Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (FAA-H-8083-25A) and Langewiesche's Stick and Rudder. If you like to read, you'll end up with all three in your library eventually.
PP-ASEL, Flight Design CTSW owner.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Thumbs up to all three of those books, Jim. (Wait a minute - three thumbs?)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rezaf_2000

Post by rezaf_2000 »

Thanks everyone, today's flight was way more enjoyable. I was more prepared, and I didn't feel overwhelmed anymore. I'm a quick study, I'll try to finish the gleim program before next set of flight lessons next weekend.

Thanks for the book suggestions, I just ordered stick and rudder from Amazon. To be honest, the gleim pilot handbook is also pretty decent, it was just that I hadn't read the proper segments yet. (The syllabus suggests starting from chapter 3, while chapters 1 and 2 are very relevant to the piloting itself). I'm covering it as fast and as thoroughly as I can.
200 hours of flight and counting