...to a certain degree

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

designrs

Re: ...to a certain degree

Post by designrs »

MovingOn wrote:You may have. You can fly LSA with a medical. If I still had a medical, I would still be flying the Mooney M20C and flying IFR and would know very little about LSA.
If they drop the third-class medical requirement I'd probably buy an RV-9A. It's a lot like the SportCruiser that I fly but with 150% the performance. Burns more fuel though... sigh.
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

Sport Pilots who bad mouth certified aircraft are just as bad as other pilots who bad mouth LSA. It's another example of talking about something you know nothing about.
True. I have flown a variety of Beechcraft, Piper, Grumman, Cessna (& other manufacturers) products and can honestly say I have yet to find a plane that isn't fun to fly. I've never flown a C182 but am sure it can carry a significant load and is a very stable IFR platform.

My question remains:

Does an LSA provide a viable training classroom alternative to students seeking their PRIVATE Plot's license?
Dave
drseti

Post by drseti »

My experience has been very positive in that regard, Dave. (but you already knew that.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Fleming Aviation

Post by Fleming Aviation »

Many LSA's make fine training aircraft for Private Pilots. Compared to traditional training aircraft they are generally less expensive to operate so the rental rate can be lower. They generally have better avionics as well. Probably half my students are working toward their Private.
Tim Fleming
Fleming Aviation
http://www.flemingaviation.com
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snaproll

Post by snaproll »

As they say, to each - their own.... I own and fly an LSA because it is a joy to fly, handles well, easy maintenance, plenty of room, and comfortable. I have flown a variety of aircraft (low performance, high performance, retractable, monoplanes, biplanes, experimental, standard category, etc.), am a PP, have my Third Class, and have designed, built, and tested aircraft. The only real opinion that counts is that of the pilot/owner who wants to fly what ever they choose. All of you have good input, valid opinions, and I respect where you are coming from.. I have seen all levels of pilots do stupid things from ATP's to students, and have seen the most skilled in each category. Point is fly what you want and enjoy it.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snaproll

Post by snaproll »

MovingOn wrote:I have never flown an airplane I didn't like.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89611087/PLANES.pdf
Loved everything I have flown except the Culver V due to the strange control linkage between the flaps and elevator... Always gave a strange feeling in the controls.