...to a certain degree

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

deltafox

...to a certain degree

Post by deltafox »

Reference: http://www.boldmethod.com/blog/infograp ... essna-172/

I had an interesting/frustrating conversation recently. It ended with: "Sport Pilots learning to fly an LSA is like going to a community college. Getting a Private Pilot is like going to XXX University." I decided to move on to easier topics like Healthcare and the Russian occupation in the Ukraine. This morning I found the reference site on Facebook and thought to share it.
Dave
Jim Stewart

Re: ...to a certain degree

Post by Jim Stewart »

Nah. More like the difference between a driver's license and a driver's license + motorcycle license.
PP-ASEL, Flight Design CTSW owner.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

deltafox wrote:Reference: http://www.boldmethod.com/blog/infograp ... essna-172/

I had an interesting/frustrating conversation recently. It ended with: "Sport Pilots learning to fly an LSA is like going to a community college. Getting a Private Pilot is like going to XXX University." I decided to move on to easier topics like Healthcare and the Russian occupation in the Ukraine. This morning I found the reference site on Facebook and thought to share it.
Sounds like someone who has formed an opinion without knowing the facts. If you factor in the differences in required training between sport and private you would find that there is more time allowed for basic piloting skills for the sport pilot. This is based on the minimum required training, even though the sport pilot only needs 15 hours of instruction instead of the 20 for the private.
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

deltafox wrote:Reference: http://www.boldmethod.com/blog/infograp ... essna-172/

I always compared the FAA pilot certificates to the different types of college degrees.

Sport = Associate Degree

Private = Bachelors Degree

Commercial = Master Degree

ATP = Doctorate Degree or PhD
drseti

Post by drseti »

And don't forget, Kevin:

CFI = teaching credential
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Ultralight/Part 103 = High School Diploma/GED

Student Pilot Certificate = Undergraduate Certificate
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

Nope. Not buying the analogy. Skilled pilot = Skilled pilot. Given the same conditions I don't think an ATP can fly a Cub any better than a Sport Pilot. We've all read stories about a youngster winning the Spot Landing Contest at the local fly-in, flying against "seasoned" pilots. I get it that the ATP has a broader environment, but some of that can be discarded when he straps into an LSA.

The referenced site really speaks to the "classrooom". Would you rather fly a modern (Technically Advanced) LSA or a 1960's Cessna truck? The "Community College" seems to be offering a much more complete classroom than the typical "University" airplane.

I guess the thing that toasted me was the arrogant disdain for the LSA/Sport Pilot. Seems like he was attempting to perpetuate the old caste system. "How many hours do YOU have?!?", rather than "What have you experienced in your airplane?".
Dave
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

I care.

...because I believe that LSA has the potential to improve the training environment for General Aviation. I believe the aircraft are cost effective and a joy to fly. I am trying to start a business using this belief as its premise. I don't understand why people prefer older more expensive aircraft for their training.

Why do you prefer a C182?
Dave
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

And if I still had a medical, I probably wouldn't have discovered the great training (and business) opportunity afforded by the Sport Pilot rating.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
designrs

Post by designrs »

MovingOn wrote:Actually, I would rather fly a 1960's Cessna 182 than any LSA made, but that's a whole other topic of discussion. One of my favorite planes to fly was a C182RG. Basically, people bad mouth stuff because they don't understand it or have never tried it or tried it and failed, etc. Again, who cares?
I have no interest in flying an old "minivan" (and yes I have tried them). That's why I found LSA appealing. An Extra would be interesting though!

:D
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.