Piper Sport - Help

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

FrankR

Re: Piper Sport - Help

Post by FrankR »

Thanks for everything guys. I really appreciate this.

I am 6'1". I am going to try a cushion.

The sight picture problem is more related to the changing terrain of the San Diego area. Hills everywhere. The horizon is always changing.

I thought about focusing on the artificial horizon, but that doesn't seem like a good practice for an LSA. The glass is nice, though.

As for ham-handedness, almost all of my hours are in an Allegro. I am not transitioning to an LSA for the first time. Also, there's a bit online about the pitch stability of the Piper Sport. All kinds of suggestions: two fingers, the fence, etc.

I think I know the solution, along with taking all of you suggestions: fly more. Sounds like fun.
Frank
Fayetteville, NC
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

FrankR wrote:
I am 6'1". I am going to try a cushion.
I would say don't.

Part of becoming a well rounded pilot is to adapt to different planes. That will inevitably include a wide range of sight pictures.

I found when I transitioned Cessna pilots to my Citabrias and Grummans, they routinely would climb when first establishing level flight. Why? Both planes had much lower panels than a Cessna, and they would initially try to make the sight picture match. I had to have them look out at the wings to confirm they were not flying downhill with the nose apparently that low.

Same thing now in my Sky Arrow:

Check out the Dynon - that is, in fact, level flight!

Don't worry, you'll get used to it. Trying to make all planes share the same panel height is doomed to failure from the start.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
FrankR

Post by FrankR »

FastEddieB wrote: Check out the Dynon - that is, in fact, level flight!
I knew it. I should be staring at the Dynon.
Frank
Fayetteville, NC
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

FrankR wrote:
FastEddieB wrote: Check out the Dynon - that is, in fact, level flight!
I knew it. I should be staring at the Dynon.
Hard to tell...

...that was sarcasm, right?

As an aside, I've had full glass panels in a Cirrus, and know how to use them.

Still, in the Sky Arrow, I usually only glance at the Dynon to get my TAS or density altitude. Real horizon and "steam gauge" altitude, airspeed, and compass all just work better for me in a simple VFR aircraft.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Hmm...I wonder if my Dynon D100 needs to be re-calibrated. In level flight with zero vertical speed the flight path marker sits on the first tick line below the horizon line, which I think is -5°. On the ground and level the flight path marker sits on the horizon line. I'm guessing the proper calibration is flight path marker on the horizon in straight and level flight, and who cares where it is on the ground.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
drseti

Post by drseti »

Actually, Andy, I wouldn't change it. In level cruise flight, your nose looks as though it's below the horizon - that's normal for your plane. So, if that's what your AI shows, it is accurately calibrated for the sight picture you get in flight. That's as it should be.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

drseti wrote:Actually, Andy, I wouldn't change it. In level cruise flight, your nose looks as though it's below the horizon - that's normal for your plane. So, if that's what your AI shows, it is accurately calibrated for the sight picture you get in flight. That's as it should be.
lol...on the CT Forum the guys suggested recalibrating. I guess it all depends on whether you want the EFIS to match the sight picture or the level flight condition.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

MovingOn wrote:I would say set it wherever it would help you most if you blundered into a solid cloud layer and had to fly by reference to instruments.
Yeah, that's kind of my thinking on it.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
drseti

Post by drseti »

MovingOn wrote:I would say set it wherever it would help you most if you blundered into a solid cloud layer and had to fly by reference to instruments.
I agree. Now, if you normally fly by looking at the AI, and never outside, then calibrating the AI to show nose on the horizon in level flight will probably work for you. OTOH, if you normally fly by looking outside (as I hope you do), then you already know what sight picture is normal for your plane. In that case, if you set the AI to match that sight picture, you can transition to it naturally, without having to recalibrate your head, should you happen to blunder into clouds. IOW, you'll fly the way you always do, which (IMHO) has to be safer...
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

drseti wrote:
I agree. Now, if you normally fly by looking at the AI, and never outside, then calibrating the AI to show nose on the horizon in level flight will probably work for you. OTOH, if you normally fly by looking outside (as I hope you do), then you already know what sight picture is normal for your plane. In that case, if you set the AI to match that sight picture, you can transition to it naturally, without having to recalibrate your head, should you happen to blunder into clouds. IOW, you'll fly the way you always do, which (IMHO) has to be safer...
Wait...I'm supposed to look outside?!? :lol:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

MovingOn wrote:The artificial horizon is adjustable with steam guages.
It generally is on an EFIS as well, though you may have to search through some menus to find the virtual knob.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

MrMorden wrote:Wait...I'm supposed to look outside?!? :lol:
Only if you enjoy the pretty scenery.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

drseti wrote:
MrMorden wrote:Wait...I'm supposed to look outside?!? :lol:
Only if you enjoy the pretty scenery.
And enjoy not hitting the pretty scenery :)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI