New Sport Training Website

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

RyanShort1

New Sport Training Website

Post by RyanShort1 »

Well, after originally purchasing an aircraft and starting up efforts to offer sport pilot training west of Austin, TX, and then finding out that the aircraft was not LSA eligible, I finally have a new aircraft to use.

We will be offering Sport Pilot training in the Central Texas area in our Taylorcraft BC-12D. I can carry aspiring sport pilots who weigh up to 230 lbs in it.

Visit our new website at: www.TexasSportPilot.net

Ryan
Independent Flight Instructor at http://www.TexasTailwheel.com. Come fly tailwheel LSA's.
Merlinspop

Re: New Sport Training Website

Post by Merlinspop »

RyanShort1 wrote:Well, after originally purchasing an aircraft and starting up efforts to offer sport pilot training west of Austin, TX, and then finding out that the aircraft was not LSA eligible, I finally have a new aircraft to use.

We will be offering Sport Pilot training in the Central Texas area in our Taylorcraft BC-12D. I can carry aspiring sport pilots who weigh up to 230 lbs in it.

Visit our new website at: http://www.TexasSportPilot.net

Ryan
Sounds good! Good luck!

Out of curiosity, why the difference if rental rate between dual and solo?

Also, what is "Solo Observation"?

Wish something similar was available around me (Eastern Panhandle of WV). It'd be fun to rent a BC-12D for a few hours a month.
- Bruce
RyanShort1

Post by RyanShort1 »

Merlinspop wrote:
RyanShort1 wrote:Well, after originally purchasing an aircraft and starting up efforts to offer sport pilot training west of Austin, TX, and then finding out that the aircraft was not LSA eligible, I finally have a new aircraft to use.

Visit our new website at: http://www.TexasSportPilot.net

Ryan
Sounds good! Good luck!

Out of curiosity, why the difference if rental rate between dual and solo?

Also, what is "Solo Observation"?

Wish something similar was available around me (Eastern Panhandle of WV). It'd be fun to rent a BC-12D for a few hours a month.
I'm going to probably have to hire someone in town or at the airport to handle some of the solo rental details, so I need to be able to pay them for their time.

Solo Observation - that's a new thing I'm trying based on what an older instructor told me. He had some experiences where student solo pilots up in Alaska were doing their own stuff and not following his instructions. He said that basically if they were paying him, and he was involved in the solo decisions, they were under his signoff, if not, they were acting outside of his responsibility. I'm not sure if I'll keep that, but I thought it was worth a try.

Ryan
Independent Flight Instructor at http://www.TexasTailwheel.com. Come fly tailwheel LSA's.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Congrats on the T-Craft, Ryan. Great little plane.

What I do with student pilots is designate all solo flights as "supervised solo." If they"re in the pattern, I'm watching. If they're in the practice area, I listen on the radio. If they're doing solo XC, I'm in the office to brief the student before and debrief after the trip. I don't bill my time by the hour, but rather charge a flat CFI rate per lesson, regardless of whether it involves flight instruction, ground instruction, supervised solo, simulator training, or a combination of those. Thus, since I'm already booked for the lesson, it's not costing the student anything extra to have me hanging around.

Once they're licensed, solo flight need not be supervised. This applies primarily to Sport Pilots upgrading to Private, as well as licensed and current renter pilots.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Helen

Post by Helen »

MovingOn wrote:Students require certain instructor sign-off's per the FAR's. Anything outside that, you might want to discuss with your lawyer regarding potential liability.
Bear in mind too that most flight school insurance contracts discuss "supervised solo" and student flight may not be covered by the insurance if a flight instructor is not on the field to "release" the flight.

Helen
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Helen Woods
Chesapeake Sport Pilot
Quality Flight Training, Rentals, and Service
Factory Authorized RV-12 Training and Service Center
http://www.chesapeakesportpilot.com