"Stick and Rudder Moments"

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

FastEddieB

"Stick and Rudder Moments"

Post by FastEddieB »

As background, Stick and Rudder is a book written by Wolfgang Langewiesche in 1944. Though a little dated, it still makes good on what the subtitle promises: “An Explanation of the Art of Flying”.

Much time is spent in the book describing what makes flying so different and challenging compared to ground based activities.

We spend most of our lives anchored to the ground in one way or another. In fact, to say someone is “well grounded” or that he or she “has their feet on the ground”, is generally considered a compliment.

But all that time spent on the surface may make it difficult to shift gears when the wheels of a plane leave the ground. It takes a while to adjust and to understand, and even experienced pilots can slip up from time to time.

It has to do with frames of reference. One is the ground. We think of it as stationary, but standing on the surface of the planet you may be moving up to about 1,000 mph, depending on your latitude. But if you know how to juggle, you don’t have to factor in the speed at which you’re moving - relative to the surface you’re stationary, and that’s all that matters. Similarly, if you’re juggling on a moving train - since your frame of reference is now the train, no allowance for its movement need be made.

The essence is that, once in the air, the plane has zero reference to the ground as far as flight characteristics go. Your frame of reference now becomes the air mass in which you are moving. The implication is that a steady wind has no effect on the plane, other than its path over the ground. The plane is simply flying in an air mass which is itself moving. Disregarding gusts and shear, once a plane is in the air, like a free balloon, there is no wind.

I wish to clarify what I mean when I call something a “Stick and Rudder Moment”. A pilot will do or say something where a lightbulb goes off in my head and I suspect they may not be adequately making the transition from ground-based to flight-based thinking. The upside is that it can often become a "teachable moment".

Here are some examples I’ve come across, and I’m sure you guys can come up with many more.

1) The “Dreaded Downwind Turn”.

This is the grandaddy of "Stick and Rudder Moments". Many pilots believe that the turn from crosswind to downwind is especially dangerous. Why? The plane may stall as it is picking up a tailwind during the turn, putting it closer to the stall.

Such is not the case. If planes do tend to stall there, it is due to the illusion of increased speed leading them to slow down too much or not realize speed is decaying. There is no “wind” pushing against the rear of the plane, causing it to stall.

2) A fellow on the Cirrus Owner’s site observed that a quartering tailwind seemed to push his plane ahead by more than the wind velocity. For example, he’d be flying along with a TAS of 190k and a quartering tailwind of 10k and find his groundspeed being greater than the combination of 190+10. He figured it was like a sailboat “tacking”, and that some sort of trigonometry was letting the quartering tailwind “squeeze” his plane forward faster than the wind velocity.

The thread (“Winds?”) went on for hundreds of posts with other pilots and instructors trying every imaginable explanation and analogy to show him the error of his reasoning. I don’t know if we ever did, and the same theme was continued in another thread by the same fellow. But it was a fun, if somewhat aggravating ride.

3) Flying a demo Cirrus northbound it FL, I noticed on autopilot it was flying slightly right wing down. I mentioned it to the demo pilot, who opined that it was probably just the autopilot correcting for the right crosswind.

4) A pilot posted that when he approached in a crab with a crosswind from a certain direction, he could feel it in his prop.

5) I’ve heard it said cowl flaps are especially useful when flying downwind, when cooling would otherwise be compromised by the tailwind.

6) Someone suggested in a strong enough wind, a plane that was not tied down could eventually just hover.

7) Many have expressed that banking the airplane may cause fuel to flow unevenly from wing tanks. When queried, they were not referring to uncoordinated flight.

"8) And, of course, there was the suggestion to use an iPad app’s speed readout as an aid when landing.

One thought exercise is to imagine that you’re flying a plane capable of 50k slow flight in a 50k wind. Start directly into the wind with a zero groundspeed. Then start doing 360’s. With each 360 your groundspeed goes from zero to 100k and back to zero. Imagine how that will feel as you speed up to 100k only to slow back down to zero. How will that feel? How will that sound? You surely will be able to tell when you’re upwind and when you’re downwind, right? The answer is so nonintuitive that you might not believe it, but its true. Try it some time under the hood and the answer will be clear - though not what you might think.

Anyway, let me open the floor to discussions of any of the above, or feel free to add your own “Stick and Rudder Moments".

Note: I also posted this to ctflier.com, since not everyone there frequents this site. I may also post it to PilotsofAmerica.
Last edited by FastEddieB on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Re: "Stick and Rudder Moments"

Post by drseti »

FastEddieB wrote: The “Dreaded Downwind Turn”.

<snip>

If planes do tend to stall there, it is due to the illusion of increased speed leading them to slow down too much or not realize speed is decaying.
Or maybe the pilot is using the dreaded iPad speedometer to maintain downwind speed?
6) Someone suggested in a strong enough wind, a plane that was not tied down could eventually just hover.
That would be me. Bad choice of terms. I should have said levitate - leave the ground briefly. Hover implies sustained levitation. Some of you saw (sadly) at Sun-N-Fun a couple of years ago that when the tornado came through, several parked planes did levitate - but only briefly, before they came slamming back down to the ground.
Note: I also posted this to ctflier.com, since not everyone there frequents this site. I may also post it to PilotsofAmerica.
I have no objection whatever to cross-posting, Eddie. But, to keep the whole thread visible to everybody, why don't you also post an invitation to those other lists? "This thread was started on SportPilotTalk.com. To participate in this discussion, won't you join us there?"
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

MovingOn wrote:If you have 1000 pounds of flys sitting in your plane while you are flying, what happens to your gross weight if the flys all start flying around inside your plane?
Ooh! OOOH!

I know this one!

Pick me pick me!
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

Are the windows open?
drseti

Post by drseti »

Here's a case where crosswinds can (and, sadly, do sometimes) lead to stall-spin accidents:

Pilot turns from downwind to base, converting crosswind to tailwind, and thus overshoots the base-to-final turn. Getting back into position to line up with the runway would now require a tight turn, but the pilot has heard that stall speed increases with bank angle. Therefore, he or she tries to flatten the turn with opposite aileron, and yaw around the corner with rudder. Cross-controlled is the classic spin entry, and close to the ground, it's unrecoverable.

Now, did the crosswind cause the stall-spin? Not exactly; the real cause was the pilot's failure to initiate an immediate go-around when the overshoot occurred.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

If there were a half-ton of flies in my cockpit, their weight would be irrelevant, because I would have zero visibility.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

drseti wrote:If there were a half-ton of flies in my cockpit, their weight would be irrelevant, because I would have zero visibility.
And I'd be screaming like a little girl.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Good candidate for #9...

A fellow on another forum stated authoritatively that a small hole on the right pitot tube* of his CT was where his plane's "wind indicator" got the information to determine his "primary wind force"!

*Most likely a drain hole.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

FastEddieB wrote:*Most likely a drain hole.
Exactly what I was thinking . . .
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

FastEddieB wrote:Good candidate for #9...

A fellow on another forum stated authoritatively that a small hole on the right pitot tube* of his CT was where his plane's "wind indicator" got the information to determine his "primary wind force"!

not a drain but AOA info
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

CharlieTango wrote:
FastEddieB wrote:Good candidate for #9...

not a drain but AOA info
And the tube was not properly oriented.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

CharlieTango wrote: not a drain but AOA info
I stand corrected.

Still a good candidate, I think, because I'm virtually certain that the "wind indicator" he mentioned was not relative wind, nor was "primary wind force" referring to AOA.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]