Using Jeppeson private pilot kit for Sport Pilot test prep

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

JayKoit

Using Jeppeson private pilot kit for Sport Pilot test prep

Post by JayKoit »

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, I'm a 1.5 hour student pilot (all demo flights but just bought my own plane to finish my training), and I had a question for the group. A friend of mine gifted me his complete Jeppeson private pilot kit (it's from 2006) and I was wondering if it's both current enough and would work as good study materials for the sport pilot written and practical tests? Obviously it is more in depth on a few things being a private pilot kit but does it cover EVERY thing I'd need to know for the sport pilot tests, or are there some things specific to sport pilot/LSA's that I would miss out on? Would I still need to get a Gleim/Sportys/King test prep for the sign-off for the written test? I don't want to buy a whole sport pilot kit if I can avoid it. Any thoughts welcome. Thanks!

Regards,
Jason
3Dreaming

Re: Using Jeppeson private pilot kit for Sport Pilot test pr

Post by 3Dreaming »

I teach a ground school class and the test question book changes every year, and the pilot handbook that I teach out of has changed at least 3 times since 2006. I think you need to get some updated material. Get with the instructor that you are going to use and find out what they like to use for study materials. I like the Gleim products, and you can buy just what you want without buying the whole kit. I would check the prices though, because it might wind up being cheaper to get the kit.
drseti

Post by drseti »

The SP knowledge (written) and practical (oral) tests both include SP-specific FARs that won't be in the PP study material. So, I would recommend picking up some SP-specific test prep study materials, as well as a SP practical test review book. Like Tom, I use the Gleim material, but you can use whatever study material your CFI or flight school favors. No reason to buy a whole new kit; those two books should be an adequate supplement to what you already have.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
JayKoit

Post by JayKoit »

Awesome, thanks guys. Yeah I had a feeling that would be the case, and the gleim SP kit is pretty reasonable. And hey, it's always good to have an extra plotter/e6b around anyway:)
drseti

Post by drseti »

Good luck with your studies and flying, Jason, and feel free to ask questions here as the need arises. This is a very supportive bunch of guys and gals, all of whom want to see you succeed.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Helen

Post by Helen »

Keep the following from the kit:

Plotter