Sport first then Private

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

MrMorden

Re: Sport first then Private

Post by MrMorden »

drseti wrote:
MrMorden wrote:Sport pilot aircraft types are designated in sets; I have a Sport Pilot certificate that includes ONLY set AP-5, which is Airplane, Single Engine Land (ASEL) with Vh > 87 knots.
Andy, that was true when the SP rules were implemented in 2004, and was evidently still true when you got your rating. But that FAR was changed when the SP rules were updated in 2010. Sets have now been done away with, replaced by category and class logbook endorsements. See the latest revisions of FAR 61.317 and 61.321. I have an upcoming EAA webinar on the topic, scheduled for some time after Oshkosh; I'll post the details here when I know them.
Ah, that explains it, I got my SP in 2009.

So...do i still need an endorsement to fly a Vh < 87kt airplane, or is it all just ASEL now with endorsements for > 87kt as CTLSi mentioned? If that is the case then I guess I'm good to go for any tricycle airplane LSA?

Thanks, and sorry for the misinformation CTLSi.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

MrMorden wrote:
drseti wrote:
MrMorden wrote:Sport pilot aircraft types are designated in sets; I have a Sport Pilot certificate that includes ONLY set AP-5, which is Airplane, Single Engine Land (ASEL) with Vh > 87 knots.
Andy, that was true when the SP rules were implemented in 2004, and was evidently still true when you got your rating. But that FAR was changed when the SP rules were updated in 2010. Sets have now been done away with, replaced by category and class logbook endorsements. See the latest revisions of FAR 61.317 and 61.321. I have an upcoming EAA webinar on the topic, scheduled for some time after Oshkosh; I'll post the details here when I know them.
Ah, that explains it, I got my SP in 2009.

So...do i still need an endorsement to fly a Vh < 87kt airplane, or is it all just ASEL now with endorsements for > 87kt as CTLSi mentioned? If that is the case then I guess I'm good to go for any tricycle airplane LSA?

Thanks, and sorry for the misinformation CTLSi.
Andy, you need endorsements for both < and > 87kts. You are not required to get the endorsement if you logged time in an airplane with a Vh less than 87 kts before April 2, 2010.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

3Dreaming wrote:
Andy, you need endorsements for both < and > 87kts. You are not required to get the endorsement if you logged time in an airplane with a Vh less than 87 kts before April 2, 2010.
Ah rats, I still need the sign off, it would be nice to get something for free from the FAA. :)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

MrMorden wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
Ah rats, I still need the sign off, it would be nice to get something for free from the FAA. :)
Go find someone with a J3 Cub and do the tail wheel and <87kts at the same time. That would be kind of like getting something for nothing, and you can have fun while you do it.