Cleared for the checkride, but...

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Horatio

Cleared for the checkride, but...

Post by Horatio »

My instructor's preferred DE has temporarily lost priveleges. Not sure why, but he's working to get reinstated. He should have an answer from the feds in a few days. I've read stories where pilots have had to re-do their checkrides because of the DE. Want to avoid that if possible!

Thoughts or advice?

There are a couple other DEs nearby, but I would have to fly to their home base for the practical. That would add several hours' rent to the checkride cost.

Horatio
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
drseti

Re: Cleared for the checkride, but...

Post by drseti »

Check with those other DPEs, Horatio. One of them might be willing to fly or drive to you (for reimbursement of travel expenses, of course, but that might be cheaper than flying to them). Plus, it's always a good idea to do your practical exam out of your own airport. Home court advantage, and all that...

Oh, and congratulations on reaching this wonderful milestone.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

Thanks, Paul. Honestly, I don't mind the extra cost, and it would be fun to plan a cross country to take the checkride.

Would I need to have my instructor come along, in case for some reason I were to fail the flight test?
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Horatio wrote:Thanks, Paul. Honestly, I don't mind the extra cost, and it would be fun to plan a cross country to take the checkride.

Would I need to have my instructor come along, in case for some reason I were to fail the flight test?
When he is signing you off for the flight to the checkride you could always have him sign off a solo cross country flight from the checkride airport back home on a sticky note just in case. That way you can fly back home. Not that you will need it.
drseti

Post by drseti »

First off, Horatio, you're not going to fail it! Your CFI wouldn't have signed you off if you're not ready. Just keep your cool, fly well, and when the examiner asks you a question that stumps you, don't bluff - just say "I don't know."

Now, as for your question, if you plan this as a solo XC, and your instructor reviews your flight planning and endorses you for it, then if for some reason you don't get your SP on this flight (and it could be a paperwork problem, not a failed checkride), then you just fly the return half of the solo XC as a student pilot.

Of course, if your CFI wants to ride along, and you're cool with that, then he or she gets to be your first real passenger as a licensed SP!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

Thanks for the vote of confidence. As they say, the ride is mine to fail. Just trying to prepare for a worst case scenario. :D
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
newamiga

Post by newamiga »

I think I remember reading about a DPE in the Las Vegas area.. who got his credentials pulled and then subsequently several of his passed checkride applicants ended up having to do another ride with the FAA. http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/ ... aminations I would say you are better off doing the ride with another DPE just in case. No aspersions on this DPE but better safe than sorry.

Carl
Private Pilot and RV-12 Builder
theskunk

Post by theskunk »

I'm checking with some local contacts for him over the weekend - I don't anticipate hearing back from the folks I reached out to until Monday, however I think I'll be able to get some good information.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Assuming your instructor followed the appropriate Practical Test Standards, you should be good to go with any Examiner.

While it helps to know the idiosyncrasies of any particular Examiner, to zero in on one kinda hints at "teaching to the test".

If there's any issue at all, your instructor should not hesitate to send you to another Examiner - if you're ready, you're ready, and all the Examiner does is confirm what your instructor has already ascertained - that you're qualified and prepared to be a Sport (or Private) pilot.

And, worse case scenario, a pink slip is not the end of the world - its a learning opportunity. You'll still get your license and be a better pilot for it, and looking back after a decade or more it will barely register as a bump in the road.

Don't Worry - Be Happy!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The only problem I see is that he is doing the checkride in the Champ. I know it is sometimes hard to fine an DPE who will do a Sport Pilot ride in a tailwheel airplane.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Oh, right, the Champ. That's 1220 max gross, so he needs to find a light DPE.

Seems to me the list of DPEs on faa.gov ought to include their weights!
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
theskunk

Post by theskunk »

I have a light DPE, just waiting to see if they are willing to do it in a Champ -

Other issue I see is that either he's going to have to fly to them, or pay them to drive to him... All the folks I know are based in NC.
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

FastEddieB wrote:Assuming your instructor followed the appropriate Practical Test Standards, you should be good to go with any Examiner.

While it helps to know the idiosyncrasies of any particular Examiner, to zero in on one kinda hints at "teaching to the test".

If there's any issue at all, your instructor should not hesitate to send you to another Examiner - if you're ready, you're ready, and all the Examiner does is confirm what your instructor has already ascertained - that you're qualified and prepared to be a Sport (or Private) pilot.

And, worse case scenario, a pink slip is not the end of the world - its a learning opportunity. You'll still get your license and be a better pilot for it, and looking back after a decade or more it will barely register as a bump in the road.

Don't Worry - Be Happy!
This DE would drive over to Camden. As far as I'm aware, that was the only reason he was preferred.

There are DEs in NC, but I'm faced with paying similar fees and mileage, so in the end the costs would be about the same as extra rental time.

And yes, I will need a light DE! :D
I
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
drseti

Post by drseti »

Horatio wrote:in the end the costs would be about the same as extra rental time.
In that case, it's a no-brainer. Which is more fun, flying to your DPE, or waiting around for him or her to fly to you?
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

drseti wrote:
Horatio wrote:in the end the costs would be about the same as extra rental time.
In that case, it's a no-brainer. Which is more fun, flying to your DPE, or waiting around for him or her to fly to you?
This is all new to me, but you're right. It does seem to be a no-brainer.
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A