No Sport Pilot instructor within 150 miles!

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: No Sport Pilot instructor within 150 miles!

Post by drseti »

All I can conclude from that is that our friend isn't within 150 miles of my location. :(

All jest aside, this is a very real problem in many parts of the country. It doesn't invalidate Sport Pilot, but it is slowing its growth.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Tessmacher wrote:No one needs to know "where I am" under any conditions.
Tessmacher, nobody here is trying to invade your privacy. We thought you were asking for help in locating an LSA to train in. To provide such help, we'd need to know what part of the country you're in. But, if you don't want specific advice, that's fine - we can just talk in generalities.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Tessmacher wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
Yes, you did come here and other places to vent. I'm sorry we as a group couldn't do anything to help you, but since you wouldn't tell us where you are there is little that we can do.
No one needs to know "where I am" under any conditions.

There are several specific reasons I have not said where I am, not the least of which is, it's totally irrelevant.

If you must know something, you can satisfy yourself with this: I am at a location where there is no one willing to train for sport pilot, within 150 miles.
I have been providing sport pilot training since April 2006. I have seen people post that there is no sport pilot training within 100 miles of them when I am only 75 miles away. Just because you stopped at 3 airports and talked to some crusty old flight instructors doesn't mean that there isn't any sport pilot training within 150 miles. It just means that you have not found someone who provides the training. Maybe there is someone who knows about something in your area that you don't.

If you just want to rant and rave about flight instructors who don't like sport pilot that is one thing. If you want help in finding the instruction you want, you need to provide the ones willing to help with the tools to do so.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

If you just want to rant and rave about flight instructors who don't like sport pilot that is one thing. If you want help in finding the instruction you want, you need to provide the ones willing to help with the tools to do so.
Just to beat the dead horse, the power of forums like this are not just the knowledgable members themselves but the networks they've developed over the years. If the intent of the original post was to find an instructor, it is possible one of us may know someone who knows someone who knows someone.....
dave
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

drseti wrote:
FlyingForFun wrote:The point of an instrument rating is to be able to fly in IMC
The CFII opines: that may indeed be the point of an instrument rating, but the purpose of instrument training is to learn to fly very precisely, with improved situational awareness, allowing one to get more safety and utility out of any airplane. These are useful skills, for SP and PP alike, and are valuable whether or not you ever see the inside of a cloud.
Agreed. Even as a SP I have gone up and done an instrument approach under foggles with an instrument rated pilot in the right seat, just to see how it all works. I'm hoping to do more of them with a CFII I know. Just a great skill to have in your bag of tricks if you ever need it due to weather or your whiz-bang GPS failing.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA