sport pilot schools vs. traditional flight schools w/ SP

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

N918KT

sport pilot schools vs. traditional flight schools w/ SP

Post by N918KT »

So we all know that sport pilot schools will most likely emphasize sport pilot training, with doing PPL a second priority (ie. as an optional add-on). But a few weeks ago, I walked into a traditional flight school with sport pilot near my college inquiring about their sport pilot curriculum, and the CFI I met told me to go for my PPL instead, unless I had a problem with my medical. I asked more about their sport pilot program, including a question on how many sport pilot students are in the program, which he said 0. They do have an LSA, which is a Tecnam Eaglet, but most people who rent their LSA are PPLs exercising sport pilot privileges. If that school has a sport pilot program, why not do they promote their program?

My question for you guys is can traditional flight schools with sport pilot programs promote and recruit sport pilot students just as much as sport pilot schools? Or are there some traditional flight schools out there that have sport pilot but do not promote or try to recruit students into their sport pilot curriculum?
FlyingForFun

Re: sport pilot schools vs. traditional flight schools w/ SP

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

CTLSi wrote:There's no such thing as a 'sport pilot school'
While this is true, there are a few schools that either specialize in the Sport Pilot rating, or use it as a viable portal of entry (that is, as a stepping-stone to higher ratings). One such school that makes very good use of the SP curriculum to train Private Pilots is Cheapsapeake Light Sport. Another is (ahem) AvSport of Lock Haven. :wink:

The traditional flight schools typically eschew SP, and claim that it costs less to go straight for the PP. but this has not been my experience. Over the last couple of months, I had two of my Sport Pilot graduates complete their PP ratings (see their graduation party photo here:
http://avsport.org/photos/events/party13_09a.jpg). Both had built hours and experience (and had fun in the process) by flying for a while as Sport Pilots, and then doing PP add-on training. One needed only six more hours of dual to be ready for his second checkride! (The slower of the two needed more like ten. :( ). Not only did they end up spending a lot less than the typical PP applicant, but they had a lot more fun, and got to fly with their spouses that much sooner. So, I don't see why so many flight schools are so anti-SP!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

drseti wrote:
CTLSi wrote:There's no such thing as a 'sport pilot school'
While this is true, there are a few schools that either specialize in the Sport Pilot rating, or use it as a viable portal of entry (that is, as a stepping-stone to higher ratings). One such school that makes very good use of the SP curriculum to train Private Pilots is Cheapsapeake Light Sport. Another is (ahem) AvSport of Lock Haven. :wink:

The traditional flight schools typically eschew SP, and claim that it costs less to go straight for the PP. but this has not been my experience. Over the last couple of months, I had two of my Sport Pilot graduates complete their PP ratings (see their graduation party photo here:
http://avsport.org/photos/events/party13_09a.jpg). Both had built hours and experience (and had fun in the process) by flying for a while as Sport Pilots, and then doing PP add-on training. One needed only six more hours of dual to be ready for his second checkride! (The slower of the two needed more like ten. :( ). Not only did they end up spending a lot less than the typical PP applicant, but they had a lot more fun, and got to fly with their spouses that much sooner. So, I don't see why so many flight schools are so anti-SP!
I know! Over the summer after a flight lesson with Art we were having lunch at a diner one time and IIRC, I told him that I believe that Light Sport is a growing segment of aviation, and that I wanted that industry to grow. I just hope one day Sport Pilot and LSAs will become mainstream as PPLs and traditional GA aircraft.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

FlyingForFun wrote:That's like saying the auto industry will be overtaken by 2-seat sports cars.
Hey, I drive one of those:

Part of the appeal is that it is niche. If everybody drove one, I'd probably have to find something else.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I personally prefer the Z3 to the Z4.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

CTLSi wrote:...The winners all share carbon fiber...
If I was in the market I would buy a new lightening, its not carbon fiber but I bet its a winner.

FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

CTLSi wrote:The winners all share carbon fiber
You keep saying that, and I am all for carbon fiber technology, but the sales figures don't seem to support your contention. Of the top ten selling SLSA models listed on bydanjohnson.com, four are indeed composite, four are metal, and two are fabric. And, those four composite aircraft rank #1, 7, 8, and 10. A good start, but hardly dominant.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US