Last Flight Lesson of the Summer before College Starts Again

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

N918KT

Last Flight Lesson of the Summer before College Starts Again

Post by N918KT »

Well, today was my last chance to do my first solo and unfortunately I didn't get to do my first solo flight this summer at all for a few reasons. One was that we were running on a tight schedule today. The other reason was because my flight instructor sold the Sportstar MAX I was training in all summer to a customer and we used a slightly different but more technologically advanced airplane called the Evektor Harmony. We did 3 crosswind takeoffs and landings today, and for the most part I performed them very well with little coaching and help. While I do like the solid controls of the new Harmony and the feel for it (because I noticed my takeoffs and landings were a lot smoother than in the Sportstar MAX), I also felt that I was not comfortable in soloing the Harmony on the same day that I flew the Harmony for the first time. I wanted to have more time and experience to be acquainted with its flight characteristics and where all the controls and switches are. But, looking back on this summer, I felt I made a lot of progress in my flight training such as getting my student pilot certificate and passing my presolo written test (Hey does the presolo written test ever expire?). I never got this close to solo in my life before. Even though I didn't solo this summer, I felt that I accomplished something still in my flight training and I am proud of it. Hopefully I will solo and hopefully get my sport pilot license during winter break.
Merlinspop

Re: Last Flight Lesson of the Summer before College Starts A

Post by Merlinspop »

You made a solid decision and even though you may acquire a little rust, the experience you have will serve you well when you can pick it up. I took years to get my private. It'll happen for you as long as you still have the desire.
- Bruce
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Thanks Merlin!

I knew that I don't want to solo in an airplane that I only flew in for one day, even if the handling characteristics are better than the LSA I previously trained. Both my CFI and I agreed not to have me solo in the Evektor Harmony when I flew it only once so far.

BTW, that Evektor Harmony has satellite radio! We were listening to some calming jazz music during the taxi out to the runway and this made me think of an airliner playing some relaxing music in the passenger cabin before takeoff.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Congratulations on a great Summer of dedicated flying! It is a great first-person account of student's LSA training journey. Now go tell all of your friends and bring more young pilots into aviation!
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Talk your school into sponsoring an aviation club!
- Bruce
designrs

Post by designrs »

Awesome idea Bruce. That would be something worth sponsoring!
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Merlinspop wrote:Talk your school into sponsoring an aviation club!
Actually, the college I go to has an aviation program with 2 types of aviation majors. The Pro Pilot major and the Aviation Administration major. There is also a flying club/flight team and an airport/aviation management-related club called the American Association of Airport Executives or AAAE. I am currently club president of AAAE student chapter at my college. So yeah, I am already running an aviation related club at my college only it is geared towards airport/aviation management.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

N918KT wrote:
Merlinspop wrote:Talk your school into sponsoring an aviation club!
Actually, the college I go to has an aviation program with 2 types of aviation majors. The Pro Pilot major and the Aviation Administration major. There is also a flying club/flight team and an airport/aviation management-related club called the American Association of Airport Executives or AAAE. I am currently club president of AAAE student chapter at my college. So yeah, I am already running an aviation related club at my college only it is geared towards airport/aviation management.
So it's an incremental step to talk them into doing a leaseback on an LSA!
- Bruce
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Well I don't know if the flying club/flight team could leaseback an LSA. The planes used by the flying club/flight team are owned by my college's aviation department. Plus they are also the same planes that the professional pilot students uses for flight training. I don't think the head of the aviation department would want to buy or leaseback an LSA nor start a sport pilot program/minor at my college, though I think that would be a great idea.