Another milestone reached

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

designrs

Re: Another milestone reached

Post by designrs »

Reviewing now for Checkride using Paul Hamilton's Sport Pilot Checkride book.
http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/3819

A++ outstanding book! Everything is there. Concise.
Learning things that I never picked up from numerous other sources...
eg. Simple clear explanation of the most relevant weather concepts.

Same with the regs and just about everything else...
simple, clear and relevant.

Thanks Paul!
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Merlinspop wrote: I'm still kind of grateful that my oral was a "pop quiz" of sorts. There were a couple schools on my field at the time I was prepping for my PPL practical. One afternoon I was there and the Examiner came in, obviously in a bad mood. When my CFI asked him what was the matter, he replied that a candidate stood him up and he had wasted an hour's drive to the airport plus another hour waiting for him. So she winked at me and said, "Hey, Bruce is ready! Give him his oral while I fill out all the forms." Lovely. But we ended up having much more of a conversation about flying and airplanes (the PA38 Tomahawk in particular, since that was "my" airplane). Two and a half hours went by pretty painlessly. By then the weather wasn't good for the flight portion (and because I didn't know I was taking the test that day, I didn't have a flight plan for anywhere to go over), so we arranged to meet the next morning. He must have had lunch plans or something, because we knocked out the flight test pretty quickly.
You were set up. That was totally planned to take the pressure off of you. Well done by your instructor. ;)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

MrMorden wrote:You were set up. That was totally planned to take the pressure off of you. Well done by your instructor. ;)
She swore it wasn't pre-aranged, but that she figured that the DPE would be nice since this way he didn't waste the drive out. Either way, I'm glad I didn't have to spend time fretting about it.
- Bruce
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

designrs wrote:Reviewing now for Checkride using Paul Hamilton's Sport Pilot Checkride book.
http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/3819

A++ outstanding book! Everything is there. Concise.
Learning things that I never picked up from numerous other sources...
eg. Simple clear explanation of the most relevant weather concepts.

Same with the regs and just about everything else...
simple, clear and relevant.

Thanks Paul!
Ditto. There's just so much to remember! lol Paul's book is a great resource.

Checkride in five days. Gulp.

When is yours scheduled?
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

FlyingForFun wrote:You'll do fine. The examiner wants to ensure you have total command of the plane and the situation at all times and are SAFE above all. Demonstrate control of the situation and never let the outcome come into question. For instance, if you don't like how an approach is working out, go around and tell the examiner you're going around. Precision and limits are important, but SAFETY is most important. Don't forget to do clearing turns, etc. Think of the examiner as a passenger who knows nothing about flying. Make sure he buckles his seat belt and knows how to unbuckle and get out, etc. That's my advice FWIW.
Good advice at that.

Remember that the PTS standards do NOT require you to demonstration perfection. Don't blow out the top of the standard by overcorrecting a small divergence below (as an example). Just stay in charge of the airplane and don't let yourself become a passenger or spectator. If he or she says on short final, "there's a herd of deer on the runway", don't search for them and ask, "where?"; they're not testing your eyesight.
- Bruce
designrs

Post by designrs »

Today... FAA LICENSED SPORT PILOT!!

: )
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

Congratulations! Now give us a wreiteup!
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

designrs wrote:Today... FAA LICENSED SPORT PILOT!!

Yaaay!!! Congrats!!!
designrs

Post by designrs »

Horatio wrote:Congratulations! Now give us a wreiteup!
I preface the write up saying that being prepaired, organized, on-time and providing thorough complete (but short and to the point) answers helped a lot. It sets the tone for the whole exam. My primary instructors at Fleming Aviation prepaired me very well with training. The King Video Sport Pilot Chekride video really helped me in tems of what to expect and the manerism and feel for the exam as well as the top emphasis areas. Paul Hamilton's Sport Pilot Chekride Book (see above link) really helped with the quality of answers, prepping for the exam and getting through so much information.

My checkride was rescheduled once due to weather which did give me more time to study. Still my head was spinning and I was stressing a bit pushing to study and prep so much information! If I had another two weeks, I still would not have felt like I crammed in enough. I slept the night before and got up early... with a good cold shower to invigorate myself.

My examiner seemed to be the type that did not belabor things. If good answers were given he moved along. So in that respect, the study and prep was harder than the exam.

Despite the pre-stress I went in with a "let's have fun attitude" balanced with the appropriate seriousness. Laying out everything on the table helps... Folder for pilot, folder for plane, folder for flight planning, all your study books... tabbed with stickies... Flight plan with PM (night before outlook) and AM (day of) TFR's, NOTAMS, METARS, TAF's, winds aloft, weight & balance, annotated airspace overlay showing diagramitic areas of airspace, flight plan calculations... and electronic flight planning print outs. I brought 3 electronic devices (2 iPhones and iPad... with auxiliary battery power source... and the E6B in the flight bag). Showing that you are prepared and thorough demonstrates that you have it covered and you might be less likely to get "drilled" with questions. The examiner also wants to move on but you have to demonstrate knowledge and give the examiner confidence in it.

One question was interesting about Class C airspace. After describing the shape and purpose of the airspace along with the endorsement that would be required of a Sport Pilot to enter, the examiner asked about who I would contact for permission to enter that Class C airspace... Tower or Clearance? The answer was "I am not trained or endorsed for that."

The plane was not fueled to my specification as planned. The flight instructor who delivered the plane (very busy day requiring cross-country coordination) was going to fuel the aircraft during my oral but did not. We had legal reserves to fly but I was not comfortable with it. I never thought that my flight review would include pumping self-service 100LL, something that I very rarely do! I almost always use MOGAS but the plane was on cross-country.

Flying was pretty straight forward. If you watch the videos you know what has to be demonstrated. Steep turns, stalls, soft-field, short-field, go-arounds, etc. Communicate proficiency, observations, judgement and give the examiner confidence in your ability. You are not expected to be perfect. Everyone has good landings and bad. Fortunately today's were good! I came in for the final landing feeling good about the test and THEN, AT THE LAST LANDING, everything got squirrelly!! It wasn't winds, just a serries of over corrections (pitch and yaw)... the examiner felt it and I said "I got it."... just as the plane straightened out and settled down ever so softly. We both laughed very hard. It was a fun ride!

:D
Last edited by designrs on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 9 times in total.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David

Post by David »

Rich welcome to the club!

David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
designrs

Post by designrs »

Thank you David & all.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

designrs wrote:Today... FAA LICENSED SPORT PILOT!!

Wooot! Congrats!
- Bruce