Another milestone reached

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Horatio

Another milestone reached

Post by Horatio »

Took (and passed) the written today. Solo to the practice area tomorrow, wx permitting. :mrgreen:
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
Merlinspop

Re: Another milestone reached

Post by Merlinspop »

Horatio wrote:Took (and passed) the written today. Solo to the practice area tomorrow, wx permitting. :mrgreen:
Good job! Now for the fun part!
- Bruce
GravityKnight

Post by GravityKnight »

Pickup a copy of this before your checkride: http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/3819

It has about 110 pages of questions/info about the oral part alone. Which is nice, because the oral part is the "unknown". Your CFI can give you a mock checkride as far as the flying goes, and you know what to expect there. (This book covers the actual flying too btw). But this helped me prepare for the oral, only had to lookup 1 little side question he threw at me because of something I said...
RANS S6S 116 wing w/ VGs
114hp zipper rotax 912uls | rotax airbox / custom intake
72" KOOL Scimitar | custom twin exhaust setup
21x8 mains | 18x6 nose / custom fork
MGL avionics | Twin Oil Coolers | other goodies
designrs

Post by designrs »

I have the King School Sport Pilot Checkride video. It's good and I especially liked it for the exampe to set the attitude and feeling of the checkride. This book looks like a great resource as well to prep for a wider range of questions. I'm not looking forward to the oral. Even if prepped well, there are just too many areas of questions and regulations that can pop up aside from say the "top 30 questions". This book looks like it can ease those factors. Thanks!
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

designrs wrote:I have the King School Sport Pilot Checkride video. It's good and I especially liked it for the exampe to set the attitude and feeling of the checkride. This book looks like a great resource as well to prep for a wider range of questions. I'm not looking forward to the oral. Even if prepped well, there are just too many areas of questions and regulations that can pop up aside from say the "top 30 questions". This book looks like it can ease those factors. Thanks!
I'm still kind of grateful that my oral was a "pop quiz" of sorts. There were a couple schools on my field at the time I was prepping for my PPL practical. One afternoon I was there and the Examiner came in, obviously in a bad mood. When my CFI asked him what was the matter, he replied that a candidate stood him up and he had wasted an hour's drive to the airport plus another hour waiting for him. So she winked at me and said, "Hey, Bruce is ready! Give him his oral while I fill out all the forms." Lovely. But we ended up having much more of a conversation about flying and airplanes (the PA38 Tomahawk in particular, since that was "my" airplane). Two and a half hours went by pretty painlessly. By then the weather wasn't good for the flight portion (and because I didn't know I was taking the test that day, I didn't have a flight plan for anywhere to go over), so we arranged to meet the next morning. He must have had lunch plans or something, because we knocked out the flight test pretty quickly.
- Bruce
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

GravityKnight wrote:Pickup a copy of this before your checkride: http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/3819

It has about 110 pages of questions/info about the oral part alone. Which is nice, because the oral part is the "unknown". Your CFI can give you a mock checkride as far as the flying goes, and you know what to expect there. (This book covers the actual flying too btw). But this helped me prepare for the oral, only had to lookup 1 little side question he threw at me because of something I said...
Looks like a good resource. Thanks for the link.
designrs wrote:I have the King School Sport Pilot Checkride video. It's good and I especially liked it for the exampe to set the attitude and feeling of the checkride. This book looks like a great resource as well to prep for a wider range of questions. I'm not looking forward to the oral. Even if prepped well, there are just too many areas of questions and regulations that can pop up aside from say the "top 30 questions". This book looks like it can ease those factors. Thanks!
Thanks for the info. I do like the Kings' videos, but I'd rather not drop $120 on the DVD.

The solo cross country is scheduled for early Monday (Labor Day). We're expected to be in the path of another cold front by then, so the weather could be problematic. I'm planning an early departure.

Total distance should be 100 nm. :mrgreen:
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

Solo cross country completed today. :mrgreen:

Labor Day weather was marginal, so that flight was scrubbed. Looking forward to some cooler temps as we begin prep for the checkride (hopefully next month).
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

FlyingForFun wrote:That's great. Where did you go (to and from)?
KCDN -> KFDW -> KHVS -> KCDN. Just shy of 100 nm total. The thermals made it impossible to trim for hands-free flying, which made for some interesting log keeping! Ground speed on my longest leg was under 60 knots. I was pretty tired (but happy) at the end. :mrgreen:
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

FlyingForFun wrote:99.8nm 54 minutes in the SkyCatcher. Looks like a fun flight. I lived in Aiken for 5 years so I'm pretty familiar with SC.
My air time was double that! The Champ is a delight to fly, but man is she slow. It would be nice to fly something faster, but there are no newer LSAs for rent/training around these parts. There was an outfit in Greenville that had some CTSWs, but they closed shop earlier this year. Gotta make do with what's available til something better comes along.
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

Agreed it's fun flying. Slow is good for now. Simple is good as well. When I flew 150s 25 years ago I had a hard time keeping my eyes out of the cockpit. The Champ fixed that - no artificial horizon to chase!

Where are you now?
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

How's the LSA rental fleet in your area? You mentioned the 162. Is that what you're flying these days?
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A