How confident or fearful should I be for my first solo?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

N918KT

How confident or fearful should I be for my first solo?

Post by N918KT »

Hoping to solo before the fall semester of college starts, I feel that I am close to my first solo. I feel really excited about it but I know that being overconfident and eager is not a good thing. So how much confidence should I need? I am thinking that I should feel 75 percent confident and 25 percent fearful for my first solo. Or 80 percent confident and 20 percent fearful. Is this a good ratio of feeling confident versus fearful for my first solo?
Merlinspop

Re: How confident or fearful should I be for my first solo?

Post by Merlinspop »

I'd can't give you a confidence/fear ration. But I believe that you should have no doubt that you can fly the pattern, land the plane, cope with any emergency that might come up while you're doing the above.

When you do solo, it's natural to have a moment (mine was on downwind) when you look over at that empty seat and have a "holy crap!" moment. Then you shake it off and get on with it. On my very first trip around the pattern on my solo, the tower asked me to extend dw for an IFR arrival and that she'd call my base. I did, and she promptly forgot about me! I called her up as I was approaching a Restricted Area and she said, "Oh god! Turn base now!" I had about a 3 mile final. My instructor always had the tower screw with me (calling for go arounds, requesting 360's for spacing, turning off the lights during night landings...) so I figured he prompted it.

But as always... have FUN and don't sweat it!
- Bruce
nbjeeptj

Post by nbjeeptj »

I would not say by any stretch that I was confident (I always lean toward the safe side), but on the engine run up and final checks before pulling onto the runway I was real nervous. I made my call, pulled onto the runway, pushed in the throttle and once I rotated, all fear was gone. At this point I had left the ground and Had no choice but to bring it around and land it. It was hot that day and had a longer time in the ground affect than it had with the instructor in there with me but other than that, all was good. The next 2 were more fun after knowing that I had completed the first one with no problem.
busted

Post by busted »

Once you get to the airport, the dangerous part should be over, then you can relax