Got some of my confidence back with takeoffs and landings

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

N918KT

Got some of my confidence back with takeoffs and landings

Post by N918KT »

Today was a fun day! While we did not fly our original cross country flight as planned because of thunderstorms in the afternoon, we did work on takeoffs and landings under gusty, windy, and crosswind conditions at Queen City. My CFI, Art, noticed that I made some progress with takeoffs and landings under gusty conditions. While the winds were blowing straight down the runway according to the AWOS and the windsock, Art thought they were variable with some gusts. Anyways, I was improving after each takeoff and landing with a kiss-like touchdown on the final 3rd landing. Art told me that he noticed that I fly the airplane according to the weather and winds, and not like a predetermined task. For example, I know that you have to turn full aileron into the crosswind for takeoff starting on the takeoff roll, but I made adjustments according to the winds and how the airplane wants to fly. For crosswind landings, I had a perfect approach, using a little bit of rudder and aileron to coordinate the plane towards the runway. Like I said before, the last landing was so smooth!!!

I know I had a bad day last weekend when I was at Doylestown, but it was probably because I was not "in the game". But this time I talked myself through approach and landing and focused on the airport and pitching for airspeed and using throttle for altitude control, and it really made a difference. Basically, as of right now, I think I got my confidence back!!!

We might do our cross country flight tomorrow maybe, but I don't know yet.
Merlinspop

Re: Got some of my confidence back with takeoffs and landing

Post by Merlinspop »

There ya go!
- Bruce
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

Good for you! Maybe you will solo soon.

I'm flying with a different instructor this week to get a fresh set of eyes in the cockpit. I hear changing the routine can be helpful. 8)

Have fun with the cross-country.
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
designrs

Post by designrs »

Suuuuper! Keep on it! :D