Back in the air

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Horatio

Back in the air

Post by Horatio »

My month-long hiatus (four weeks to the day) ended this morning with crosswind landing practice in the local pattern.

Man did I suck! The last landing was not too bad, but it took a lot of effort to get there.

I'm not feeling too bad though - it was my first session with real crosswinds (about 8-10 knots). The winds actually picked up after I left the airport, with the AWOS reporting 10 gusting to 15 knot winds, but were pretty steady while I was up. In general, the timing of today's flight could not have been better, as I was sorely in need of the crosswind work.

I've determined that two weeks is about the max I can go between flights and retain my confidence, so that will be my yardstick from here on. I had scheduled several flights prior to today, but they were scrubbed because of the weather. We've had a stationary front hovering over SC for several weeks, with a lot of moist unstable air pumped in. It has produced widely scattered rain daily, with really low ceilings until afternoon most days (at least in the midlands). The front finally seems to be on the move, which should bring more typical summer weather - highs in the mid-90s with scattered thunderstorms.

My instructor signed me off to take the written, so I'll get that out of the way in the next couple of weeks. I'll need at least one more session of dual in the pattern before my solo cross-country, then it will be time to prepare for the practical (provided I stay on track and keep my proficiency high enough). But a lot of that will depend on the weather's cooperation. Hopefully I can finish before hurricane season is in full swing! 8)
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
FlyingForFun

Re: Back in the air

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horatio

Re: Back in the air

Post by Horatio »

FlyingForFun wrote:This weather is getting old. Where in SC are you? I'm in the Atlanta area.
Near Columbia. It's raining as I'm typing this. Second shower since I got home.
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A