Getting close to 1st solo--Question for CFI's out there

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

saintlfd

Getting close to 1st solo--Question for CFI's out there

Post by saintlfd »

My consistency in all phases of flight is improving. Still need to improve my touch on landings but I'm getting there.

I train at a busy towered airport under the Bravo, so there is a lot of radio work. I have come a long way in that area but some of the instructions from Regional Approach do cause some delay and confusion on my part. Listening to LiveATC is helping.

My Q for CFI's--since my flight school does all first solo's at a nearby non-towered airport, why is my CFI insisting that I be highly proficient with the more complex radio calls before soloing? At this point, I know I need more consistency in landing but once that comes along I am not going to be all that cool with delaying for radio work that is required at a airport 20 miles away.

I'm trying not to be impatient but, well, you know how it is. And I will ask my CFI, when I get to where I think I could go solo.

Thanks!
DAVE
Jack Tyler

Re: Getting close to 1st solo--Question for CFI's out there

Post by Jack Tyler »

Dave, I'm not a CFI but as I reflect back on my PPL training I recall that the first two flights I was assigned, after I soloed, was simply more of the same. Soloing is a big deal, of course, but being relaxed and able to focus on additional tasks as the curriculum continues to build skills is essential. This, the 'post solo' goal of more solo flight. Given your location, it could be your CFI wants you to be ready to follow up your first solo with additional solo flights at your home base (perhaps in part to keep an eye on how you're doing). If those follow-up solo flights require the comms skills you mention, it would make sense to me that he wants you good to go with the radio, not just the engine and airframe.

Good luck on those last few sessions and 3 good solo landings! Wear an old shirt...
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

One reason could be that you don't know what's going to happen on any given flight. Right after I solo'd, I took off one morning (solo) to do the standard quickie flight to another close airport, for T-n-Gs. Just as I was approaching the airport, they announced it would be closed, as there was a landing accident. This had never happened to me before, nor had I discussed it with my instructor. So, I headed back to my home airport.... NOT.... as I approached that airport, they refused to allow me to enter their Class D, as they were too busy (KDVT, busiest GA airport).
So, here I am, flying around having had two unanticipated rejections.... what do you do? I started thinking about going to yet another airport, but for what? Then I thought about getting away from the city and just circling. I couldn't pull over to the side of the road... I was getting nervous.
Luckily, the class D airport finally slowed down a bit, and they let me back in.

So the point is, just because YOU anticipate a certain set of things to happen on your flights, you need to be prepared for ALL the things that can happen.
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
saintlfd

Post by saintlfd »

If those follow-up solo flights require the comms skills you mention, it would make sense to me that he wants you good to go with the radio, not just the engine and airframe.
Good point. Especially in light of this:
So, here I am, flying around having had two unanticipated rejections.... what do you do?
I definitely want to be ready for whatever happens. I'll keep working on the comm!

Thanks.
DAVE
David

Post by David »

Do you fly out of KDTO? I have a good friend who does transition training & Bi-annuals in an RV12, but not instruction.

I also agree with the reason the others guys stated. Good luck and enjoy the journey to learn more.
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
saintlfd

Post by saintlfd »

I fly out of KADS (Addison) but KDTO would actually be more convenient for me.

Training in the RV-12 would be really sweet.
DAVE