Aviation training in high school

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

dstclair

Aviation training in high school

Post by dstclair »

Nice to see a local Dallas-area high-school with a aviation program now including a Redbird simulator (one of ten in the country for high schools). 244 students enrolled in the 4 year aviation program.

http://ireader.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... le=Ar01505
dave
drseti

Re: Aviation training in high school

Post by drseti »

The LD is a fantastic sim, but the $30k price-tag puts it beyond the reach of most school districts. Yes, the time can be logged, but that still scarcely justifies the price, IMHO. (Still, I wish this school district the very best, and congratulate them on the acquisition.)

Schools wanting to offer sim training should consider the AOPA Jay by Redbird (discussed in another thread). Mine ran me $4k full-out with lots of optional add-ons, which is within reach even for small flight schools like mine. No, you can't log the time, but (as I said in one of my press interviews) what matters is not hours in the logbook, so much as skill with the stick.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US