Should I push myself harder (fly more often per week)?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

N918KT

Should I push myself harder (fly more often per week)?

Post by N918KT »

My CFI cancelled my weekend lessons last weekend since he was out of town. Plus I'm going on a family vacation in late July and early August that will take out 2 weekends of lessons (or 4 flight lessons over 2 weekends). I will have 8 or 9 available flight lessons remaining before I go back to college in the last week of August.

All of a sudden, trying to get that sport pilot certificate before I head back to college does not seem likely anymore. At a rate of 2 lessons per week (every weekend), I think I will be lucky to get to my first solo at least.

I currently work Mondays through Fridays in the mornings and afternoons getting out of work at 4 pm. In addition to flying on weekends, I was thinking of maybe taking an extra 1 or 2 flight lessons during the weekdays after I get out of work.

But it will be a long drive to the airport and try to take a flight lesson before the sun sets, so that may be a problem. Plus I might be a little bit tired from work.

What should I do? Is it worth it to push myself harder by flying also during late afternoons/early evenings after work, just so I can get my license before school?
RyanShort1

Re: Should I push myself harder (fly more often per week)?

Post by RyanShort1 »

You'll probably learn faster if you fly at least twice a week. I'd try three flights and see if it's too much, or if instead, you make good progress. My once a week students learn more than twice as slow most of the time.

Ryan
Independent Flight Instructor at http://www.TexasTailwheel.com. Come fly tailwheel LSA's.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Flying in the evening about an hour before sunset is the way to go in the Summer as it is both beautiful and cooler. Talk with your instructor about making solo your goal before going back to school with intention of getting a couple of short solo flights in. It will be a goal for both of you to focus on. Also when you go back to school you will have an even greater feeling of accomplishement.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Still...what's your plan once you return to college? A 'Solo Goal' prior to returning might make sense...but only if it fits with the timing & progress needed for your bigger 'Checkride Goal'.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
designrs

Post by designrs »

If you go back to school and don't fly at least every two weeks you will most likely loose some skills and have to backtrack and refresh. This would be true even if you got your ticket. Sure, economically better to save the money till you are ready to go all the way and continue flying, but that's no fun now! LOL Next month turns into, next Summer, turns into next year, and oh well someday. At least if you solo you have that accomplishment under your belt skill wise and life experience wise you can say that you did it. Then go back to school and figure out a plan to continue... with a smile on your face, and a little swag when you return to the airport! :D
drseti

Post by drseti »

Remember that FAR that says Sport Pilots can't fly in furtherance of any business activity? It's there for a very good reason: time pressure is the enemy of safety. For similar reasons, one should not be on a set schedule to solo, or to complete a checkride. It happens when it happens.

That said, Kevin, a solo before you go back to school is completely reasonable, and a worthy goal. Completing a license that quickly is not out of the question, but if it puts you under time pressure, that can actually degrade, rather than improve, learning. I would counsel you to try to solo this summer, then prepare for and complete your FAA written during the school year, and plan on finishing up your license next summer.

As for scheduling, the sweet spot is generally two lessons per week. Any less than that and your skills atrophy. Much more than that, and you saturate, ending up learning less, not more. Given the vagaries of weather, if you schedule three lessons (two on weekends, and one mid-week after work) you'll probably end up flying two of them.

Exception: since my flight school acquired its simulator, I haven't had a single lesson cancelled because of wx or aircraft maintenance. If the student doesn't fly the plane, he or she flies the simulator, and still gains skills and proficiency. (But, alas, Art doesn't have a sim...)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Thanks for the replies guys. Seems like a first solo or a few solo flights is more reasonable to attain this summer. However, there's a reason why I want to try to get it done by the end of August if not then during winter break. I will be too busy at college to continue sport pilot training. Also, I will graduate from college by next summer then that is when life kicks in. I would have to put my life first after I graduate and sport pilot training on the back burner and may not be able to return to sport pilot training for a long time.
drseti

Post by drseti »

How long is your winter break, Kevin? If you solo this summer, and get your written passed in the fall, and have a month or so off, and the weather cooperates, and Art and a plane are available (I know, that's a lot of ifs), then you can probably get licensed over winter break.

If the last two listed ifs are a problem, you can always spend your winter vacation in Lock Haven, and finish up with me. :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Thank you Paul for the offer! My winter break is about one month from just before Christmas to late January.
designrs

Post by designrs »

N918KT wrote:I would have to put my life first after I graduate and sport pilot training on the back burner and may not be able to return to sport pilot training for a long time.
I thought flying was life! :D
drseti

Post by drseti »

N918KT wrote: My winter break is about one month from just before Christmas to late January.
That should be long enough, Kevin. Next time you talk to Art, tell him that your master plan is to solo this summer, do your written in the fall, and finish up with him over winter break. If he knows your schedule in advance, I'm pretty sure he'll accommodate you.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US