Carb Heat Checks at Runup

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

jandras

Carb Heat Checks at Runup

Post by jandras »

Hi All,

I’m training in an Evektor SportStar and want to have a better understanding of my checklist concerning carb heat checks. Here’s a copy of my school’s engine runup checklist (I have made my own, but it’s based on this one):

For Item 10 (“ON/CHECK/OFF”), with the throttle set to about 4000 RPM, I pull the carb heat ON, look for a small RPM drop, and then push it OFF. It’s my understanding that this check is done to confirm the operation of a diverter gate - one that feeds the carburetor with hot air that is being pulled over the exhaust system, rather than cold air coming in through the normal filtered path. Basically, this is confirming that the carb heat mechanism isn’t broken or jammed.

For item 13 (“IDLE CHECK”), with the throttle pulled back to full idle (engine runs at about 1750 RPM), I pull the carb heat ON, listen and watch, and then push it OFF – basically as before except at low RPM rather than high RPM. I understand that I am still looking for a small RPM drop and for the engine to keep idling.

Am I performing the checks correctly?

I’m mostly curious about item 13 because the Item 10 check is in the official “Before take-off” list in section 4.5.5 of the POH, but the item 13 check is not.

Why do you suppose the item 13 check is not in the POH, but is in my school's checklist? Am I literally trying to make sure the engine won’t shut off at low power settings with carb heat applied? Is that a real risk? I’ve heard experienced aviation folks suggest that it isn’t a risk because the plane, once flying, will windmill the prop at low power settings and it will never be down at such a low RPM. Thoughts? Comments?

Joe
Merlinspop

Re: Carb Heat Checks at Runup

Post by Merlinspop »

It was a check my flight school wanted done with their Lyconentals. I believe if you get your speed slow enough with an engine producing no power that you can have a stopped prop. Then you might need a pretty high speed to get it turning again. Guessing heavier the prop, the harder to get it turning again.
- Bruce
artp

Re: Carb Heat Checks at Runup

Post by artp »

What I have always done:

During run up after the ignition check, I turn carb heat on and look for an RPM drop. I put the throttle on idle and make sure the engine still idles. I then turn carb off and look a rise in RPM to normal idle.