Holding altitude, heading and airspeed

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

saintlfd

Holding altitude, heading and airspeed

Post by saintlfd »

Training for SP in a Sportcruiser. Being inconsistent at holding heading and altitude; and not holding airspeed through maneuvers all that well. Other than that I'm doing great!

My diagnosis: too little use of trim; too much dependence on the instruments instead of the sight picture.
Prescription: trim, trim, trim. Refer more to the horizon and to ground-based landmarks.

Any other suggestions for me?

Thanks for your help.
DAVE
3Dreaming

Re: Holding altitude, heading and airspeed

Post by 3Dreaming »

saintlfd wrote:Training for SP in a Sportcruiser. Being inconsistent at holding heading and altitude; and not holding airspeed through maneuvers all that well. Other than that I'm doing great!

My diagnosis: too little use of trim; too much dependence on the instruments instead of the sight picture.
Prescription: trim, trim, trim. Refer more to the horizon and to ground-based landmarks.

Any other suggestions for me?

Thanks for your help.
Practice, practice. practice!! Holding an exact heading, altitude, or airspeed is the hardest thing to do while flying, and no one can do it perfectly.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

One thing to try is to get back to basics.

For heading control, I would often cover up the heading indicator and just have the student concentrate on keeping his wings perfectly level for a minute or so. Usually when I would uncover the hearing indicator, the heading would not have changed. At all.

Similarly with pitch. Establish a power off 60k glide, for example. Note the pitch attitude, usually by where the horizon crosses some physical point in the windscreen. I should be able to cover up the airspeed for an extended time and later show it had not moved at all when uncovered.

Altitude is usually tougher, because updrafts and downdrafts can cause altitude change in spite of a constant pitch. But the idea is the same.

Anyway, see if you can try that with your instructor. It may help break you of the habit of "chasing" the heading, altitude and airspeed, if you think that's what you may be doing.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
saintlfd

Post by saintlfd »

Thanks for the guidance, guys!
DAVE
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Also, perhaps a bit of perspective might help: Doing those things after a short layoff is also challenging. After many hundreds of hours of experience. Eddie's tips sound like good ones but 3D also speaks truth: practice, practice, practice...
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org