Examiner distractions

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

duanefey

Examiner distractions

Post by duanefey »

Hey all,

I'm getting ahead of myself here, but when I read the Sport Pilot Practical Test Standards it mentions that the examiner will throw some distractions at me during my check ride. Does anybody want to share what type of distractions they had thrown at them?

Thanks,

Duane
FastEddieB

Re: Examiner distractions

Post by FastEddieB »

I think one of the more common ploys is to take something and throw it on the floor, then ask you to get it. Or pop a door open on the takeoff roll. Or variations on those themes.

Or just ask questions. Like, "If we're burning about 5 gals an hour, how much fuel will we burn over the next 2 hours?". Before you scoff at how easy that is to answer, even simple calculations can easily distract from the job at hand. Be ready with a "Standby" if you're right in the middle of something - you hear professional crews do that, so don't be shy with it.

But great question. I'm curious as to what others have had thrown at them.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

I can't remember what my examiner did, but as I was recovering from it I blurted out "sonofa <bleep>, you got me!" While laughing, he said, "Just head on back, I think we're done" and was still chuckling to himself as he pulled the typewriter and white forms (whew! Not Pink! That was my first clue.) out of his trunk.
- Bruce
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

My examiner was grumpy and critical during the entire checkride. But at the end he said my flying "wasn't bad". I talked to couple of other pilots that tested with him and he did the same thing to them. I'd guess that's his form of distraction.
PP-ASEL, Flight Design CTSW owner.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Not a distraction per se, but my examiner did the engine out just as I was recovering from a power on stall. I was still in the mindset of completing that maneuver when I had to instantly switch gears. It was a good exercise and test of a pilot's ability to manage tasks quickly.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
dirmer3

Post by dirmer3 »

My examiner just wouldn't stop talking. He was asking me all sorts of questions during critical phases of flight. I simply had to politely tell him to shut the hell up. I feel like that was a very realistic distraction and something that I might experience with a real passenger.