No flight lesson for me today, just ground school.

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

N918KT

No flight lesson for me today, just ground school.

Post by N918KT »

Today, my CFI and I did a two hour ground school at first looking at the presolo knowledge test in my Gleim sport pilot syllabus. He asked me several questions in the presolo test in the syllabus about the Sportstar, FARs, Vspeeds, etc. I knew some of the questions and got stumped on the others. Anyways after we went throught the presolo test in my syllabus, he asked me to take the test in the syllabus at home and it is open book and to cite where I got my answers from.

After we went through an overview of the presolo test, we decided to plan a cross country flight from Queen City Airport to Lancaster, PA. This is also the very first time that I used a manual E6B flight computer and a navigational plotter. It was confusing at first when I learned how to use it, but I got a little better at it. With enough practice, I believe that I can use an E6B and the navigational plotter proficiently. After we were done with ground school, my CFI said to call it a day and not go flying, mainly because we were tired, although I wasn't THAT tired. I was a little bit disappointed that we did not get a chance to go flying today. However, we are going to go flying tomorrow on a cross country flight to Lancaster, PA using the planning that we did today.

I don't know when I am going to do my first solo but hopefully it will be next weekend or the weekend after next weekend.
Horatio

Re: No flight lesson for me today, just ground school.

Post by Horatio »

You'll solo before you know it. The cross country will be your first taste of what flying is all about. Wishing you a great flight.

Horatio
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
GravityKnight

Re: No flight lesson for me today, just ground school.

Post by GravityKnight »

I understand your frustrations... 75% of my instructional flights were cancelled due to wind here (we fly in 25 knots or less here if it's fairly in line with the runway because its often 35 knots, I did some solo in 15-17knots w/ a crosswind component of half that... a bit scary but since I landed in far worse wind prior w/ my instructor there just in case several times I was pretty prepared)... I remember one day it got cancelled because the wind was gusting 61 knots at the airport! ouch!) and sometimes maintenance issues. It was frustrating.. I was trying to get 2-3 lessons a week, so I would schedule 5 days worth and get 1-2 in. But before long it all came together. Just schedule as many days as you can afford assuming they all do in fact happen. It's the nature of the beast to have cancellations, especially with a light plane.. I see it more clearly now.

I just did my solo cross country not too long ago. The first solo is the most intense, but the first x-country solo is pretty awesome too! You can get a bit busy with nav logs etc. if your points are close together, but remember to stop and enjoy it. You are way out there, by yourself- it's a healthy dose of freedom. Still fresh in my mind! Really fun day!!
RANS S6S 116 wing w/ VGs
114hp zipper rotax 912uls | rotax airbox / custom intake
72" KOOL Scimitar | custom twin exhaust setup
21x8 mains | 18x6 nose / custom fork
MGL avionics | Twin Oil Coolers | other goodies