How Do You Turn Them Loose?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

designrs

How Do You Turn Them Loose?

Post by designrs »

Here's a question for the CFI's! Rather than contribute to thread-drift a new topic is started here.

What are your thoughts as you turn a student loose for the first solo and subsequent solo flights? You trained them well. They have demonstrated enough skill for you to feel that they are ready. Yet that skill set and experience is pretty minimal. You even know that they need further training, but it's time to step up the game with the solo. I liken it to turning your teenage daughter loose in the car to go to the mall. Hopefully your student has more maturity, but the skill and experience does not come anywhere close to yours. Sure they know how to glide and have done a mock off-field landing or two, but God forbid a serious emergency came up of such a nature that would challenge even your skills! Then there is a bit of unknown about how the student will perform in the solo environment. How do you do it?
Merlinspop

Re: How Do You Turn Them Loose?

Post by Merlinspop »

designrs wrote:How do you do it?
Good question! Looking forward to some CFI's answers. If it were me, there'd be a rosary in one pocket and a 'paid in full' receipt from my CFI insurance policy in the other.
- Bruce
Helen

Re: How Do You Turn Them Loose?

Post by Helen »

Lots and lots of explicit limitations on their endorsements.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Helen Woods
Chesapeake Sport Pilot
Quality Flight Training, Rentals, and Service
Factory Authorized RV-12 Training and Service Center
http://www.chesapeakesportpilot.com