My CFI thinks that I am almost ready for my first solo!

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

N918KT

My CFI thinks that I am almost ready for my first solo!

Post by N918KT »

I had 4 lessons with my new Chief CFI/DPE so far. Today, we worked on several takeoffs and landings in the pattern. At first, I needed some help with the landings, but after that my takeoffs and landings were much more consistent and better with my CFI helping me when I needed it. My CFI has noticed that I had made a lot of progress with my takeoffs and landings, plus I know my weaknesses and what I did wrong and how to resolve those weaknesses. Because of my improvements in my takeoffs and landings, he thinks that I am almost ready for my first solo!!!

All I got to do is take the presolo knowledge test. Anyone know what is the presolo knowledge test is like and how hard is the test? Is the test FAA standardized or does my CFI customize the test?

Don't know if we will be working on more takeoffs and landings next week. My CFI might work with me on cross country planning or flying, I don't know yet so the first solo might be a few or several lessons away I think.

I am now more motivated than ever to learn to fly and I am glad I am definitely making some progress in my flight training.
drseti

Re: My CFI thinks that I am almost ready for my first solo!

Post by drseti »

Each CFI makes up his or her own pre-solo test, often customized to the particular aircraft and/or student. Here's an example:

http://avsport.org/docs/presolo_exam.pdf
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Thanks Paul! It seems that there are a ton of questions in a presolo knowledge test. Is it usually that many questions as shown in your presolo knowledge test?
drseti

Post by drseti »

Mine tends to be rigorous - think of it as a midterm - because I'm prepping my students for the eventual FAA written and checkride oral exams. I'd be curious to learn how Art's compares.

Just remember that you can't fail a pre-solo written. The worst that can happen is that you might not pass it this time.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Thanks for the reply Paul. I'm not so sure when I will solo exactly. Probably not this weekend since I think Art wants to do cross country flying or planning this weekend. I bought the Gleim Sport Pilot Kit with Online Test Prep as told by Art. He wants me to study the cross country section in the text books when I get my Sport Pilot Kit for the next lesson.
designrs

Post by designrs »

The flight school that I fly at had a very similar pre-solo exam... 4 pages, almost the same questions. Basically these are the things you need to know to stay out of trouble (plus a few regulation questions). Take the exam home and Google the questions along with using your POH. It should only take an hour or so to look this stuff up. You probably know at least half of the answers already. It's not so bad.
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

Just had my pre-solo test. It was oral, and given before and during the flight. My instructor said he was also creating a diversion to see how I handled that while maneuvering in the pattern. He's quite efficient! Guess I passed, 'cause he had me solo that day. Let us know how it goes.
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Actually, my CFI did a little trick when we were doing a flow checks before one of the takeoffs after one of our landings last weekend. When I checked to see if the canopy latch was closed by moving the handle, I confirmed it was closed. He told me that it was still open, but just opened a very little bit, and he showed me the canopy notifications on the primary flight display and the engine display. Turns out, he did a little trick to see if I can catch something was wrong before takeoff.

Next time, I will check BOTH the PFD and also move the canopy a little to make sure the canopy door is really closed before takeoff.