Ever have one..

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Horatio

Ever have one..

Post by Horatio »

you know, one of THOSE days? I did yesterday. First cross country in umpteen years and I leave the sectional on the hangar desk! Doh! :shock:

Fortunately it was a short flight and the checkpoints showed up where I thought they would.
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
drseti

Re: Ever have one..

Post by drseti »

Well, there's one more thing to add to your pre-takeoff checklist.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Good reason to have WingXPro 7 or Forflight or other chart service on an iPhone or iPad or other portable device.

I use WingXPro7 on my iPhone and iPad, so as to always have current charts. My trip to Page last Oct was my first without paper charts and it worked out just fine.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

FastEddieB wrote:My trip to Page last Oct was my first without paper charts and it worked out just fine.
I tried the same a year and a half ago enroute to Sport Expo. I was nervous about not having paper backup, but needn't have been. WingX plus a Garmin 296 were all the redundancy I needed. (Of course, there was also my Blackberry GPS just in case.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

Paper whaaaat? Oh yeah, that floppy thing that you bring for your checkride!
It's nice for no glare, but fails to simply tell you where the hell you are at!

:lol:

(Prefer 4X electronic redundant... GPS, iPad, iPhone, and iPad Mini fed by either of 2 GPS receivers, or the built in GPS if everything else failed).
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

designrs wrote:Paper whaaaat? Oh yeah, that floppy thing that you bring for your checkride!
It's nice for no glare, but fails to simply tell you where the hell you are at!

:lol:

(Prefer 4X electronic redundant... GPS, iPad, iPhone, and iPad Mini fed by either of 2 GPS receivers, or the built in GPS if everything else failed).
I'm prepared with the electronic versions, but my instructor is a stickler for the basics. The Champ has a wet compass and that's it. It does have a handheld radio and PTT on the stick, so I can't complain too much. :D
drseti wrote:Well, there's one more thing to add to your pre-takeoff checklist.
Amen! That's why the use of checklists is the sign of a responsible pilot (or so I'm told). :mrgreen:

I did remember to bring my navigation log...
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A