The impossible turn in a C-162

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Flocker

The impossible turn in a C-162

Post by Flocker »

It had been awhile since I worked on emergency landings so I called up my CFI last weekend to work on some. While working on my certificate, I had always performed the engine out on T/O maneuver from 1,000' AGL. My new CFI said it could be done from 500' in the 162. He demonstrated once and then I performed 3 of them. Good stuff!
Feel free to post your training experience with the "impossible turn."
Aviation Real Estate Broker
drseti

Re: The impossible turn in a C-162

Post by drseti »

When I did my motorglider transition last summer (in a Lambada, 15 meter wingspan), my instructor cut the engine on takeoff at 300'. Being a power-plane pilot, I proceeded to set up for a landing straight ahead. He asked me "what are you doing?" When I told him, he said "no, turn back and land on the runway!"

That really went against the grain. But, I did, and it worked.

Next time, he let me get to 500' before chopping power. When I turned back toward the runway, he asked again, "what are you doing?" When I told him I was setting up a downwind landing, he said "no, fly the pattern!"

Old habits are hard to break...
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

As a soloed student, I did the "impossible turn" from 400' in my CTSW. My instructor was not amused.
PP-ASEL, Flight Design CTSW owner.
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

Dave
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

Flocker wrote:It had been awhile since I worked on emergency landings so I called up my CFI last weekend to work on some. While working on my certificate, I had always performed the engine out on T/O maneuver from 1,000' AGL. My new CFI said it could be done from 500' in the 162. He demonstrated once and then I performed 3 of them. Good stuff!
Feel free to post your training experience with the "impossible turn."
Worked on these again last weekend. Here's the video: http://youtu.be/_P0aS53iipc

Enjoy.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Many, many pilots have died, attempting the "impossible".

Next time you try it, do a slow count to three before doing anything.

In real life, that's how long it takes a pilot to react when it's totally unexpected. And a lot of speed can and will bleed off in that time, leaving most planes perilously close to a stall with little or no reserve lift to make an adequately steep turn back to the runway.

I, for one, would not attempt one, but realize the powerful instinct to return to the runway might overcome my better judgment.

But this is an old, old debate and each pilot must realistically assess his and his airplane's capabilities and make his own choice.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

FastEddieB wrote:Many, many pilots have died, attempting the "impossible".

Next time you try it, do a slow count to three before doing anything.

In real life, that's how long it takes a pilot to react when it's totally unexpected. And a lot of speed can and will bleed off in that time, leaving most planes perilously close to a stall with little or no reserve lift to make an adequately steep turn back to the runway.

I, for one, would not attempt one, but realize the powerful instinct to return to the runway might overcome my better judgment.

But this is an old, old debate and each pilot must realistically assess his and his airplane's capabilities and make his own choice.
Well, there is a point in the climb where turning back is clearly suicidal. There is also a point where turning back is obvious and easy. The hard part is the range between those altitudes, where it's a judgment call.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

FastEddieB wrote:Next time you try it, do a slow count to three before doing anything.

In real life, that's how long it takes a pilot to react when it's totally unexpected.
My CFI actually made me do a slow count to 5 in this video. (Power was pulled at the 0.56 mark and the turn was initiated at 0.61)
Last edited by Flocker on Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

For what it's worth, winds were calm that day, we climbed at Vy, runway length was 5,500', we pitched for 70 kts, and banked at 45 degrees.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

MrMorden wrote: Well, there is a point in the climb where turning back is clearly suicidal. There is also a point where turning back is obvious and easy. The hard part is the range between those altitudes, where it's a judgment call.
Of course.

At KTYS with any kind of a wind, I'm nearly 1,000' just half way down the runway. That would give me LOTS of options, including a pretty standard pattern.

Best to consider options before things get quiet. And then realize that in the stress of a real and unexpected emergency you may not perform as you have in practice.

My inclination at a few hundred feet is to limit my turn to no more than 45° to 90° max and find the least bad area to land/crash in as slowly as possible. That is very often survivable. The stall/spin that occurs during turns back is much less survivable.

But again, do whatever you think best - but try to have a plan of action BEFORE the fan stops.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]