sport training syllabusfor a private instructor? please help

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

B747

sport training syllabusfor a private instructor? please help

Post by B747 »

the closest lsa training to my location is about 1:45 h drive, so i found 15 min away a instructor with a c172 who can give me the training, i have a medical certificate, and i would like to do 80-85% of the training in the 172,
and the last 3-5 hours ill drive up to Pennsylvania to finish in a LSA, transition and to get to know the c162 and to get the exam in that aircraft,
my only problem is the c172 instructor never trained for sport license only for private, how can i make sure he haves the proppper info and follows the lsa syllabus,
i need to finish in 2 weeks by flying daily, but i want to be sure that the instructor will know what to teach and what not, who can help me and tell me what the instructor needs to follow, and how i can be sure, that it will be the best posibile
Be less restricted and more free, by flying to new heights
VL Roberts

Re: sport training syllabusfor a private instructor? please

Post by VL Roberts »

Buy the GLEIM Sport Pilot ground school kit. The kit comes with an excellent training syllabus and training record folder your instructor can use.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Tell your instructor to invest $10 in the Gleim Sport Pilot Syllabus book, and follow it. (It's still risky training for SP with an instructor who's not familiar with the SP rules, but if he or she is willing to learn, everybody can benefit.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

I'm doing an FAA Safety Team Wings seminar on LSA training at the Sentimental Journey fly-in (here in Lock Haven PA) on Saturday, 22 June, 10 AM in the first floor conference room, Piper Aviation Museum. If at all possible, both you and your CFI should try to attend.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

I already responded on the other thread you cross-posted to. I am going to consolidate these two threads.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
RyanShort1

Post by RyanShort1 »

B747 wrote:the closest lsa training to my location is about 1:45 h drive, so i found 15 min away a instructor with a c172 who can give me the training, i have a medical certificate, and i would like to do 80-85% of the training in the 172,
and the last 3-5 hours ill drive up to Pennsylvania to finish in a LSA, transition and to get to know the c162 and to get the exam in that aircraft,
my only problem is the c172 instructor never trained for sport license only for private, how can i make sure he haves the proppper info and follows the lsa syllabus,
i need to finish in 2 weeks by flying daily, but i want to be sure that the instructor will know what to teach and what not, who can help me and tell me what the instructor needs to follow, and how i can be sure, that it will be the best posibile
Since you have a medical certificate, you'll be able to solo the C-172, which is good if you want to train in it. The syllabus up to the point of solo, should be fairly similar for the C-172. If it's vastly different, I'd be shocked. I teach the same exact things up until solo, and honestly, I teach the same style of learning for cross-country as I do for private students. The only difference is that sport pilots don't do night flying, and don't do instrument training if they are only flying a Cub, or an aircraft with a VH of less than 100 mph / 87 KTS unless I can convince them that it is to their advantage to have some level of familiarity with instrument reference flying.

Ryan
Independent Flight Instructor at http://www.TexasTailwheel.com. Come fly tailwheel LSA's.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Well, Ryan, those are the main differences, but not the only ones. Don't forget that PP candidates also get trained in VOR navigation, have a long XC, do steep turns to 60 degrees of bank, have to recover from unusual attitudes, are required to get radio comm training, and need airspace training to at least Class D.

One look at what PP tasks are not in the SP PTS would be to see my PP add-on syllabus: http://avsport.org/about/upsize.htm. This (like most of my curricula) does go beyond the bare minimum FAA requirements.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The PTS says steep turns for the private at 45°.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Thanks for the correction, Tom. You're right, 60 is for the Commercial.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
RyanShort1

Post by RyanShort1 »

drseti wrote:Well, Ryan, those are the main differences, but not the only ones. Don't forget that PP candidates also get trained in VOR navigation, have a long XC, do steep turns to 60 degrees of bank, have to recover from unusual attitudes, are required to get radio comm training, and need airspace training to at least Class D.

One look at what PP tasks are not in the SP PTS would be to see my PP add-on syllabus: http://avsport.org/about/upsize.htm. This (like most of my curricula) does go beyond the bare minimum FAA requirements.
A PP can pass with only GPS navigation - as long as it is an electronic navigation source. You're of course right about the XC, but that's why I said style, not length. If you are flying an aircraft with a radio system, you should teach the same radio stuff as well, and since we're right next to both class C and D airspaces in San Antonio and even near Austin, I generally have no issues getting a Sport Pilot that endorsement.

Ryan
Independent Flight Instructor at http://www.TexasTailwheel.com. Come fly tailwheel LSA's.