Student Pilot Certificate Question

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

N918KT

Student Pilot Certificate Question

Post by N918KT »

Hello all. I am planning to continue my flight training at another flight school that is dedicated to sport pilot training. I saw their facilities, talked about flight schools I trained at in the past, their maintenance of their LSAs (which is now an important factor when choosing a flight school) etc. I am having my first lesson at that school this Saturday, if the weather is good, but may not be.

Anyways, I ask my chief flight instructor, how do I get my student pilot certificate? I asked him do I go to the FSDO office that serves the region/counties of my hometown or the FSDO office that serves the region/counties that the flight school is in? He told me that since he is also a pilot examiner, he can issue me a student pilot certificate on the spot, next time I see him.

Okay here is the question I am asking. Lets say I do not use the CFI/DPE to have him issue me my student pilot certificate. I know I have to go to the FSDO for that. But do I go to the FSDO that is located in the region/county where I live in or the region/county at the airport I take my flight training at? Also I think I have to fill out an application for a student pilot certificate (sport pilot student certificate I believe). What questions will it ask me?
drseti

Re: Student Pilot Certificate Question

Post by drseti »

Kevin, student pilot certificates can be issued by any FSDO, or any Designated Pilot Examiner. They can also be issued by an Aviation Medical Examiner (AME), but only if you take an FAA physical. The FAA does not charge for issuing one, but a DPE is an independent contractor, and can set his or her own fee (the one my students use charges $20). In either case, you need an appointment, and must show your photo ID.

The FAA is now requiring that you fill out your appkication online, using the Integrated Airman Certificate and Rating Application (IACRA). You do this at iacra.faa.gov. You have to sign up for an account there - you create a username and password. Write these down so you don't forget them, but don't give them to anyone. IACRA gives you a Federal Tracking Number (FTN). Write this down too, and if anyone (your CFI, DPE, or somebody at FAA) needs to access our files, you give him or her the FTN to do so.

After you have your FTN, you can start filling out the Form 8710-11 online. This is your application for a student pilot's license. It will also be your application to take the practical test, when the time comes. Leave the experience grid blank for now. You'll fill that out when it's time for your checkride.

After you've filed the application online, print two hardcopies of it. One for your CFI's file, and one for your own. Take your file copy with you when you go to get your student pilot certificate issued, just in case the FSDO or DPE can't get into the IACRA website when you go for your appointment (it's a government site, so it does go down from time to time!)

I'm really surprised that none of the flight instructors you've flown with has told you all this. It is a normal CFI duty to walk the student through the IACRA morass.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

drseti wrote:Kevin, student pilot certificates can be issued by any FSDO, or any Designated Pilot Examiner. They can also be issued by an Aviation Medical Examiner (AME), but only if you take an FAA physical. The FAA does not charge for issuing one, but a DPE is an independent contractor, and can set his or her own fee (the one my students use charges $20). In either case, you need an appointment, and must show your photo ID.

The FAA is now requiring that you fill out your appkication online, using the Integrated Airman Certificate and Rating Application (IACRA). You do this at iacra.faa.gov. You have to sign up for an account there - you create a username and password. Write these down so you don't forget them, but don't give them to anyone. IACRA gives you a Federal Tracking Number (FTN). Write this down too, and if anyone (your CFI, DPE, or somebody at FAA) needs to access our files, you give him or her the FTN to do so.

After you have your FTN, you can start filling out the Form 8710-11 online. This is your application for a student pilot's license. It will also be your application to take the practical test, when the time comes. Leave the experience grid blank for now. You'll fill that out when it's time for your checkride.

After you've filed the application online, print two hardcopies of it. One for your CFI's file, and one for your own. Take your file copy with you when you go to get your student pilot certificate issued, just in case the FSDO or DPE can't get into the IACRA website when you go for your appointment (it's a government site, so it does go down from time to time!)

I'm really surprised that none of the flight instructors you've flown with has told you all this. It is a normal CFI duty to walk the student through the IACRA morass.
Maybe my CFI was going to walk me through the student pilot certificate process the next time I see him. Maybe he has a computer for me to fill the application out in the flight school. But I don't know yet, I will have to ask him that before my first flight lesson with him this Saturday.

Also what is the name of the DPE your students use for their student pilot certificates? The Chief CFI I was assigned to in the flight school at Allentown, PA is also a DPE.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Remember that any DPE can issue the student certificate. Over the past few years, my students have used Art Tarola, John Smith, Tom Knopf, and Todd Aungst.

There are links on my website to lists of FSDOs, knowledge testing centers, DPEs, Sport Pilot examiners, and AMEs, as well as a link to IACRA. See http://avsport.org/events/links.htm and scroll down to Government Agencies.

When a student pilot is shopping around for a flight school, among the first questions always asked are "how much does it cost?" and "how long does it take?" These are really the wrong questions! The student should be asking "what kind of planes do you have?" And "who does your maintenance?" And "what is your completion rate?" And "what do your students average on the knowledge test?" And "is there a computer and internet access available in the pilot's lounge?" And "will you help me fill out the application on IACRA?" And "do you charge extra for hand-holding?" And (most important!) "what kind of coffee do you have in the GA terminal?" :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Thanks for the advice! Art is going to be my CFI and is also the DPE/SPE. When I went for a visit to the flight school, I asked Art about the types of planes they have, what instrumentation do they have for the LSAs (the Sportstar Max I saw had glass cockpit with back up analog gauges and the Evektor Harmony had an all-glass cockpit), asked about the maintenance and how do they maintain their airplanes, and asked about the study materials they use.

I also sent an email just now to Art on how should I prepare for my first flight lesson with him. I believe he told me a few days ago that he will email me later on the Sportstar Max checklist and the POH I think to study. I also asked him in the email about the student pilot certificate application and ICARA and whether he wants me to fill out the IACRA before I go with him or if he would help me walk through the IACRA when I see him this weekend.
Last edited by N918KT on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

You're certainly asking the right questions, Kevin - good for you!

Enjoy your lessons with Art (and feel free to pass along my warmest regards to him).
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Thank you!!!
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

I got a reply from my CFI. He told me my first flight lesson with him will be some kind of introductory lesson. He also told me to bring a photo ID for the student pilot certificate application. I think I am going to fill out the application with him in the office.
drseti

Post by drseti »

N918KT wrote:He also told me to bring a photo ID for the student pilot certificate application.
You should also bring your proof of citizenship (passport, naturalization certificate, or birth certificate with raised seal) and request your required TSA security endorsement. Little known but very important fact: even if you have a security endorsement in your logbook from a previous instructor, you must do this again every time you change flight schools. (This is to prevent one slipping through the net by repeatedly changing flight schools, which is apparently what the 9/11 terrorists did).

For the benefit of those non-US citizens browsing this: there are peocedures in place to train you. Just make sure your flight school is an official TSA Alien Flight Student Program provider. And, be sure to allow extra time to jump through all the security hoops before beginning instruction.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Regarding the TSA security endorsement, do I need to take an airport security class or is there any other requirements to obtain the TSA security endorsements other than showing proof of citizenship?
drseti

Post by drseti »

Your flight instructor is required to take security training annually. Students are only required to show proof of citizenship (or go through an FBI background check if not US citizens)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Oh ok. I believe in the past flight schools I been to, the flight school just asks for a photocopy of my passport or show other proof of citizenship. I didn't know the CFI has to log the TSA security endorsement in my logbook. I think I am going to bring my passport (or photocopy of passport) to my CFI if I am going flying this Saturday and ask him to do a TSA security endorsement for me. But I am a little concerned on what would happen if he is not familiar with the TSA security endorsement? Should I try explaining to him, and if I do explain it to him, how do I explain the steps and process for the TSA security endorsement?
drseti

Post by drseti »

Tell Art that I just went through a TSA audit, am up to date on the latest requirements, and he can call me if he has any questions. He has my cellphone number.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Thanks professor!!! Will do! I'm looking forward to my first lesson with him!
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Today, I went for my first flight lesson with Art. We spent about an hour creating an IACRA account for the student pilot applicaton and I printed my student pilot certificate when I got home (but I think he forgot to charge me for the student pilot certificate!). Then we went to the hangar, pulled out the Evektor Sportstar MAX, preflighted, and went off flying. I must say that the Evektor Sportstar MAX is very easy to handle, much easier, than when I flown the original Sporstar 4 years ago at Essex County Airport. It also has better handling than the Skycatcher! After we took off from Queen City Airport, Art talked with Allentown Approach, and my mind was like "Oh my gosh, we are talking with an approach controller!!!" I never flown while in contact with an approach controller. We flew to the practice area did some turns, and some ground reference maneuvers. Then we flew back to Queen City Airport, landed and taxied back to the hangar. After the lesson, Art signed my TSA security endorsement after I showed him my passport. Unfortunately, my logbook does not have a section for the TSA security endorsement so Art had to look it up on the Internet for the exact words and then write it word for word in my logbook. I believed that he told me that I did very well with flying the airplane, just needed a little assistance on some maneuvers.

I am going flying again tomorrow morning and I can't wait for my next flight lesson with him!!!